To those taking a stand and not attending the Memorial tonight

by doubtfull1799 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Nathan: I do not agree with the claim that "the rejection of blood transfusions is consistent with the rejection of the blood of Christ." Convince me.

Lol! Let me work on that one. It is an abstract concept.

I did, though, discover when it was that the WT changed the emblem partaking to only apply to the anointed class. It was in 1938.

The March 1938 Watchtower introduced the doctrine. By examining the yearbooks for the years before and that year, it is apparent that it was at the 1938 Memorial that the emblems became restricted to only those with heavenly hope.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    When even a sister from the anointed remnant took a blood transfusion, was not disfellowshipped and could take the emblems:
    ThomasCovenant wrote7 years ago

Watchtower 1st August 1958 page 478

''One of Jehovah's witnesses who claims to be of the anointed remnant recently went to the hospital and took a blood transfusion, voluntarily. Should she be allowed to partake of the emblems of bread and wine at Memorial time?-R. J., United States.

We, of course, regret with you that this sister who professes to be one of the anointed remnant took a blood transfusion voluntarily during her stay in the hospital. We believe that she did the wrong thing contrary to the will of God. However, congregations have never been instructed to disfellowship those who voluntarily take blood transfusions or approve them. We let the judgment of such violators of God's law concerning the sacredness of blood remain with Jehovah, the Supreme Judge. The only thing that can be done in the cases of individuals like this is to view them as immature and therefore not capable of taking on certain responsibilities, hence refusing to make certain assignments of service to such ones.

Since an individual is not disfellowshiped because of having voluntarily taken a blood transfusion or having approved of a dear one's accepting a blood transfusion, you have no right to bar this sister from the celebration of the Lord's Evening Meal. As an anointed member of Christ's body she is under orders and command by Christ Jesus to partake. Whether she is unfaithful as to what she professes to be by virtue of taking the emblems of the Lord's Evening Meal is something for Jehovah God to determine himself. His judgment begins at the house of God. It is not for you or anyone serving the Memorial emblems to act as the judge, but to allow the emblems to go to anyone in the audience as these are passed along in the normal manner of letting each one have the opportunity to partake''

• steve2
    steve2

A badly dressed, pot-bellied JW looking like he was in his late 30s, accompanied by a small-framed much older woman who resembled a frightened rabbit, tried unsuccessfully to thrust a dog-eared memorial invite into my hand last weekend. I was busy, he was a rude, an arrogant man who sneered when I declined the invite. Eternal life in Paradise with him and her? I think not.

On the other hand, were he better looking, dressed smartly and not pot-bellied I may have even invited him indoors for "coffee" but I would tell the rabbit to take a hike.

• undercover
    undercover
    "Taking a stand"?
    So much DRAMA!
    This isn't the frikkin' Great Tribulation! It's not imaginary Armageddon!
    It's NOTHING! That's ALL IT IS!
    Get a grip... breathe... relax
    You'll feel fine in the morning.

It is a lot of drama. And yea, it's just Tuesday, we'll all be fine in the morning. I get where you're coming from, it's not life threatening, or the end times. Just another JW meeting.

Personally, I don't have a real problem not going or going. Some years, I've skated by with nary an invite. Other years, the pressure was heavier. In those years, I give in and go. It's one hour a year, I think I can handle that. It's the only meeting I've been to in ten years if not more. (not counting JW weddings/funerals). I'm so removed from it, that it doesn't bother me to go. It's like going to some other church service. Don't believe it. Don't buy into it. It doesn't affect me.

But for some, the drama is real. The pressure from family so intense. Marriages can break up. Young people get kicked out of their parents home. These things happen when they 'take a stand' and say in effect, 'I don't believe this anymore. I'm not going' That does take some courage.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Steve2, you're a bad man. We all know coffee is not coffee.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

A buddy of mine told me there are 2 kinds of former JWs. Those that attend memorial, and those that don't. I havent attended for 4 years. My wife may go tonight. So......everyone has their own journey.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I took a seat and attended.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"The only thing that can be done in the cases of individuals like this is to view them as immature and therefore not capable of taking on certain responsibilities, hence refusing to make certain assignments of service to such ones." -- ThomasCovenant/TheWonderofYou

I can't back it up with a reference, but I did read elsewhere (in a different WT publication) that a mature Christian does not suddenly become an immature believer simply by virtue of his using bad judgment (per WT).

His background, experience, and overall spiritual acumen don't simply up and go away. He made a mistake and, it is hoped, recovers from his error.

Obviously, there is little consistency from one publication to another. Or, is it new light?

• cofty
    cofty
    I took a seat and attended

Why did you take a seat? Did they not have enough seats?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am not attending tonight. It has been over 10 years since I quit attending. But I don't consider my actions "taking a stand." I have simply moved on. I doubt any knows or cares that I am not attending.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit