Why haven't they re-started the 'cart witnessing'?

by eyeslice 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

We are nearly 18 months into this pandemic and lot has been learned and our behaviour modified to make things safer for us, e.g. the wearing of face masks and social distancing.

Many countries such as Australia, New Zealand, the UK and USA either have things under control or have vaccinated a large portion of the population. Therefore, given the very passive nature of the 'cart witnessing', I can't see why this hasn't be re-started. After all, the witnesses could just stand to one side with face masks on and keep 2 metres from any punters.

There does seem to be a huge reluctance do anything but scribble a few letters.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

They've said they will be far more cautious than "the world" regarding when to restart things. For example, all Bethels are still under strict lockdown, and will remain so until at least August 1.

I do think cart witnessing will be the first thing they do to start up their in-person witnessing, but I don't expect that until mid 2022 at the very earliest, they might even wait until 2023.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This strict lockdown has to be seen to be believed. In the last week I was on a Zoom meeting attended by a Bethel member who had not been out doors for a year. He had a close family member die of covid and yet is still under house arrest.

There is another small Bethel outpost with 8 incumbents. One of them has cancer and has to leave for treatment. Every time they are required to isolate for 14 days after each expedition. This effectively means permanently living in their bedroom without even the freedom to be in the rest of the building.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think cart work will come back but I do wonder if this is their cue to go into full on "isolationist" cult mode. It's the ideal time to smuggle in dropping the door to door work under the radar.

Ok We already know they're a cult but at least they have some, albeit nominal, contact with the public around their religion, with the potential for meaningful discussion.

That's where the danger lies for the GB as many people are now aware of watchtower's failings

E.g. a couple years ago a young-ish woman knocked at my door and I was able to tell her about the UN scandal. She was shocked. She had literally no idea.

This isn't so likely to happen with cart work because people rarely approach. So it's ideal for watchtower, because it gives the appearance of preaching without risking JWs having to answer some tough questions or being given the facts.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    gives the appearance of preaching without risking JWs having to answer some tough questions or being given the facts.

I suspect that if more people start approaching the carts with those "tough questions" (politely but firmly - don't feed their persecution complex), it will quickly lose its appeal among JWs as they have to slink off in embarrassment over and over and over and over...

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I think they're afraid of a lawsuit and that's why they're holding off on any public or cart witnessing. If someone got COVID, whether a JW or a person at the door, they might get sued.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Its further proof we are sooo near the end..only a matter of days now.

• Dagney
    Dagney

They kept their numbers up through covid by letter writing and memorial invites, including the number of pioneers.

When my relative called me to invite me to his zoom as he was giving the memorial talk, he proudly stated "we are all pioneering!" I had to stifle my giggle. I wished I had thought quick enough to say "HOW?!!"

But I know full well the hours are lowered and the requirements as well. So no real need to start the cart work back up...I mean they'd have to actually get out and do something!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

letter writing is an easy way to get your hours in:

write a letter. think about what to say..take your time..correct if needed. when your happy with it--ready to send...check the time spent.

How long ?--Lets say 1 hour.

then print 50 copies.

So thats 50 times 1 hour = 50 hours !

• Overrated
    Overrated

All a waste of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit