JW Rumor: End of the Traveling Overseer

by Edison Trent 86 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Incognito
    Incognito

Edison Trent stated in the OP: "He told me that the latest rumor from Bethel states that the COs should be abolished in their present form."

I think in their present form is key. That doesn't imply there will not be CO's, only that there will likely be changes to the usual methods of doing things and possibly the authority or responsibility of a CO.

Maybe the position will be given a new title. Maybe there will be 4 annual visits of fewer congregations, or maybe unannounced visits to catch elders off-guard and see what really goes-on.

As some have speculated, perhaps retired local area elders will be 'trained' to assume the position for a short while (forced retirement @ 70), while not receiving any financial compensation from WT. Maybe they will mostly act as observers and auditors of congregation affairs, reporting back to WT.

WT always want control and the CO position provides the control link in whatever new form it takes on. I don't expect the entire position will be eliminated although it may appear radically different than anyone is accustomed to.

• Hecce
    Hecce
    There just ain't enough dumb super elders to take the bait!

Yes, they are. This is doable and it has been tested for many years. This arrangement is more related to the substitute CO than the City Servant; if offered a lost of elders will jump at the opportunity. The few substitutes that I know are 30-40, maybe intentionally, this is a strong possibility.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I know of a super-elder not long ago who was imported from several states away to handle problems that were developing in the area. Not sure what the problems were...cause he didn't last long enough for the rest of us to find out. As it turned out his wife had a 'super-wife' mentality about her that didn't settle well with the rest of the sisters in the congregation. Mr. Super Elder was nagged by his super-wife so much so that they moved back where they came from without accomplishing what he came to correct in the first place. They both were real pricks!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Hecce, I know of a number who have the super-ego needed to seek the position, one or two of those will not make it educationally, but there seems to be a breed of youngish JW that loves to be " on show", and their wives love the attention and respect they and their husband will get.

Of course, this ego-trip will all be done on their own Dollar, apart from what the already squeezed Congregants stump up. Pips squeaking ? not much !.

• steve2
    steve2

COs have a Lone Ranger role - they ride into congregations, monitor the situation, "assess" problems, kick butt,send reports to Bethel and ride out again to the next congregation.

If that role goes, an equivalent will be necessary so that JW organization retains a tight control on local bodies of elders and their congregations.

• Giordano
    Giordano

If the CO is the devil we know........... what they replace him with may be a far worse Devil.

Ego driven free labor who get paid by elevating their prestige and importance.

Prone to making bad congregational decisions. People who lack the control needed to counsel without diminishing.

If the Society wants control and obedience those at the congregational level may not have the skills, capacity or temperament to deliver that without causing greater harm.

One of the leading cause's that opens peoples eyes is injustice.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

With more and more videos from "Head Office" being shown each week, and yet more videos being shown during the COs visit, the need for a travelling overseer may be less and less. (more control of information - less chance of it being distorted)

After all, he simply builds up some hype, does a brief talk, then presses "play" on the video projector....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Isn't a major role of COs to keep elders in line, push them to meet organisational targets, and make sure funds are not being misappropriated.

If COs are really abolished we might expect to see more renegade elders, cliques, infighting, nepotism, laziness, money going missing, less preaching, fewer pioneers, late paperwork, all that sort of thing.

• slimboyfat
  • Tight Pants Twinkle Toes
    Tight Pants Twinkle Toes

SBF.....yeah wouldn't that be great! There really is heaven on earth,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit