JW Rumor: End of the Traveling Overseer

by Edison Trent 86 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Hecce
    Hecce

It makes all the sense in the world, part timers can do the job and I bet you that the annual collection for the service is not going ti be cancelled.,

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How confident are you in the information? This would be a huge development. Arguably the biggest of the cutbacks to date.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The rumor from years ago on this forum seemed pretty credible and the arrangement to replace COs with locals seemed pretty logical. We shall see what we shall see. I am wondering what they will announce this Saturday at the annual meeting.

COs act as enforcement between the Branch and the local body of elders, I do wonder how they would maintain the same level of control of circuits without them.

I suppose since the advent of the Internet, much communication that used to need COs and now defunct DOs in the past can now be handled online.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

And that is the question londo.. unless they count on the local co replacments to be just as big ‘company men’, which is possible

• fulano
    fulano

Where it is the case, it has not to do with money. The allowance for a CO and his wife are the same as for a Bethelite. The rest is up to the circuits including medical insurance.

• Edison Trent
    Edison Trent
    I am wondering what they will announce this Saturday at the annual meeting.

Do you expect anything new or interesting this year? If something like the end of the COs happens, this information would come in a letter to all congregations, not at an annual meeting.

• freddo
    freddo

Pure speculation here ...

Now we have Regional Conventions n'est-ce pas? Typically bigger than CA's and smaller than DC's were.

I could see the borg getting rid of society paid CO's and having a society paid Regional Overseer instead.

Here's the plan, Stan ...

Let's say that depending on geography, demographic etc., that in "the west" a Regional Convention is attended by between about three and five circuits. So you have ONE society paid R.O. plus (usually) Mrs. R.O. too. (Maybe assign an unpaid Asst. from among the local heavyweights too; after all less building work for new KH's mean more thumb twiddlers from the old RBC that would like to get away from the alternative trolley cart work.)

Now you keep your circuits but the R.O. only attends these once per year/once per two years and you extend the cycle to every four years (less admin to faff about playing musical chairs with too) so that the congs only have the REAL DEAL every year or other year instead of six monthly.

All the other visits are done by the "wannabe" Substitute CO's (now R.O.) who use their own vehicles and submit limited expenses to the borg direct but get most of their costs from the congs directly. No Circuit Flat, no circuit car, health cover, etc.

By increasing the unpaid Sub CO's to say six per circuit from the local area you have opportunity for the pioneer wannabe's to "Reach Out" and do a bit of "lording it".

You could go further and say make the CO visit every 9 months or just annually.

Result ...

1. $$$$$$ saved by the bucket load.

2. Still got control because if a cong. goes "off piste" the R.O/Branch can get stuck in.

3. Incentive for wannabe's to be C.O. Lite.

• Annon
    Annon

I think what will happen is that the C.O. will still visit each congregation twice a year but he will do so invisibly. There will be lots of evidence of C.O. realities proving that he has actually visited the congregation, and of course hard cash will still be required, for his invisible upkeep.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

...and the invisible circuit overseer meeting will be moved to a new time slot, around quarter last 7, or 1914 to be exact.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I have a hard time believing this.
    COs are the GREATEST CONTROL over the Elders and the Congregations.
    The WT need them to keep everyone in line.

They are also the INSULATION legally now between the congregations and the elders.

Also, they are needed for the assemblies.

Never gonna happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit