Why are JWs so sensitive to criticism?

by Half banana 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

It's OK to laugh at the Bible but not at the org.

Remember Sisera who was killed by Jael, who hammered a tent peg into his head? Dubbies always laughed at the story of "Jael with the nail".

• blondie
    blondie

"Just why is it that Jehovah's Witnesses can never take even the faintest hint of criticism of their religion?"

Simple. It's because of their insecurity... on a certain level, they're quite aware of the indefensibility of their beliefs, most of which can't hold up against even the most cursory scrutiny.

----good answer Room 215.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

In general - people with weak arguments tend to react emotionally and oftentimes belligerent when challenges.

I dont know a single JW who could use the bible to explain 1914 - overlapping generations - or the scriptural justification for a GB.

• dozy
    dozy

I guess it is a religious thing - the religion totally envelopes the individual so that they take any criticism personally.

I remember when I was maybe about 11 or 12 watching a comedy stand-up program on the TV with my family where the comedian was taking pot-shots at all targets - politicians , celebrities , Catholics etc. Then suddenly he made the most innocuous joke about JWs .

Myself & my siblings all found it really funny but I was amazed at the reaction of my (PO ) father , who had been laughing throughout the program. He just stood up & stomped off , muttering something about persecution. Later he announced that we would never be watching that TV program again.

And I agree with the comments about Muslims. In my industry , I meet many - most of whom are very secular Muslims and many of whom break a lot of the religion's rules ( such as getting drunk , immorality , being dishonest etc. ) But I've learned with bitter experience you have to be very careful never to make any kind of observation or comment about the religion that could be perceived to be negative or jokey.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Onager:

I mean Samson? 300 foxes? Really? Live foxes??

I live in a heavily fox populated part of the world but unless there was some kind of fox shop nearby there is no way in Hades that I could get hold of 300 live foxes.

Samson invented Firefox!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Just why is it that Jehovah's Witnesses can never take even the faintest hint of criticism of their religion?

It would mean WatchTower is Wrong..

If WatchTower is Wrong,JW`s are Wrong..

Image result for never wrong

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I’m not entirely sure the average Dub is so sensitive to criticism, at least that’s not been my experience of late. Mind you, I don’t get to see them much these days, I haven’t had a call in about three years. But one thing’s for certain, the GB are on a par with the Muslims when it comes to sensitivity to it. And you can see they would go apoplectic if you were to hold their TV performances up to ridicule.

• steve2
    steve2

They belong to an exclusive club in which self-seriousness is the rule of the day - unless they're criticizing and mocking others in which their own peculiar smug humor surfaces.

They're also in company with a bunch of other uptight small "exclusive" groups. Mormons, Pentecostals, the (Southern) Churches of God, the Exclusive Brethren all occupy a humor-free, easily offended zone. Like immature adolescents, they cannot see the hypocrisy in their "hurt" sensibilities - for they readily turn on other exclusive groups and every other religious group that does not share their outlook.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Because narcissists loath criticism. It's always someone else's fault, not theirs. NEVER their fault.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Perfect answer ToesUp. I could not have said any better. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit