Why are JWs so sensitive to criticism?

by Half banana 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

I remember a Roman Catholic priest acknowledging on the BBC that the outrageously anti-clerical TV comedy Father Ted was a humorous mocking of his church but an acceptable thing.

Try mocking the JW religion to a believer and the result is so very different.

Just why is it that Jehovah's Witnesses can never take even the faintest hint of criticism of their religion?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

They are frightened something will burst the bubble of their delusion.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Try mocking Islam to even an even unbelieving Moslem and the result will be different still.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think Punk has hit the nail on the head. Very very deep down they KNOW it is bulls**t, they constantly suffer from Cognitive Dissonance and cannot begin to deal with the thought that their beliefs may be total rubbish.

On a higher level of consciousness they feel you are insulting Jehoober, so they react in a similar way to some Muslims and members of other cults. Their beliefs are beyond criticism.

Of course that is nonsense, any belief may be criticised and lampooned.

If they have the truth, or really believe they do, they would be as relaxed about it as the Priest mentioned above.

They are afraid.

• Onager
    Onager

I've found I can criticise the bible but not the Org.

I mean Samson? 300 foxes? Really? Live foxes??

I live in a heavily fox populated part of the world but unless there was some kind of fox shop nearby there is no way in Hades that I could get hold of 300 live foxes.

This kind of statement gets met fairly good naturedly by my JW family, I guess because they can invoke god magic for any biblical weirdness. They can't invoke god magic for current day stuff though because big J doesn't get involved right now.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Simple. It's because of their insecurity... on a certain level, they're quite aware of the indefensibility of their beliefs, most of which can't hold up against even the most cursory scrutiny.

"Just why is it that Jehovah's Witnesses can never take even the faintest hint of criticism of their religion?"

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Just why is it that Jehovah's Witnesses can never take even the faintest hint of criticism of their religion?

Because they have been indoctrinated and brainwashed, and are incapable of thinking for themselves.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It's not just JWs - scientologists, Mormons and other groups are sensitive to criticism.

And then there's the Muslims. Whatever you do, don't go up to a peaceful, law abiding Muslim in your neighbourhood and show him the picture of Muhammad that you've just drawn.

Muslims are the winners here: many millions have a skin of pure Rizla.

I also happen to think Punk has hit the nail on the head. I think, too, that this sensitivity to criticism is partly what drives JWs to regularly preach their religion in public. They have to prove their religion is the only true one by destroying criticism from outsiders/apostates.

• schnell
    schnell

When I was a kid, I started writing a parody of the Bible stories and shared my wonderful creation so far with my dad and mom.

Dad... really really REALLY didn't like how 11-year-old me pegged Eve as a social inept who'd simply never spoken to anybody else and thus awkwardly gave it all up to a snake.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Because mentally and emotionally they are just 'stunted' children. By criticizing 'Mother' they fear you are trying to take away their 'spiritual' security blanket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit