"Even if it isn't the truth, it's still the best way to live"

by Simon 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, I heard this ridiculous statement many times while I was there.

I agree that it is said because Witnesses cannot defend their beliefs but they are not going anywhere. This is their social club. They are in the religion to stay and it would not matter how ridiculous it all got. Sadly, it is really too late for the elderly to start over and I feel badly for them.

As other posters have said, non-JWs in many cases are just as moral if not more so than many Witnesses. I was raised a Catholic and knew quite a few die-hards whose morality and "purity" rivaled that of any Witness - without any of the craziness.

Sad to say, I would have to say Witnesses are not what they are cracked up to be and their "goodness" in some cases is just hype - that they started.

I have noticed Witnesses have skewed definitions of honesty and lying. They are filled with hypocrisy and arrogance and this is not just a cliche. It is BAD.

I will take the moral non-Witness any day.

• talesin
    talesin

Magnum, okay, I see the 'maybe', and thanks for the reply. So, I raised the question, and yeah, it's debatable. We didn't even touch on it being a death cult (blood transfusions) and their institutionalized hatred of gays and lesbians.

It's tough - but for me, neither the R&F nor the rule-makers can take *any* sort of high moral ground. Nope.

• Island Man
    Island Man

OMG! I have heard that verbatim from the mouth of an elder, no less!

But it's a lie! And you can use their own bible to show them it's a lie. You just have to tell them about that scripture in 1 Corinthians 15 where Paul says that if the dead are not to be raised up then Christians are most to be pitied. Paul's statement is an implicit admission that living as a christian is definitely miserable way of life filled with hardship and sacrifice and is only worth it if the hope they look forward to is true. So if it's not true then it's not the best way of life. Paul also said that Christians must enter into the kingdom by many tribulations. Best way of life even if it isn't the truth, my ass!

I can think of better ways of living that don't involve shunning my relatives just because they no longer share my religious beliefs.

I can think of better ways of living than refusing lifesaving blood transfusions for myself or my infant child.

I can think of better ways of living than refusing my child a higher education even if I could afford it.

I can think of better ways of living than judging and mistrusting everyone around you just because they don't share your religious beliefs.

I can think of better ways of living than not marrying the person you're truly attracted to and love, just because they're not of the same religion as you.

I can think of better ways of living than wasting most or all of my free time slaving in the hot sun for a haughty, deceitful, hypocritical, manipulative, judgmental, misogynistic, false-prophesying, religious cult.

• Spectre
    Spectre
    I'm reminded of the phrase, "you don't know what you don't know" when I hear that old chestnut.
  • Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever

I believe the reference encompasses more than just the JW creed. It is towards biblical living in general.

PS:Is it ok to disagree with the admin of this forum? Or do I have to roast "chestnuts" on the fire too?

• Ding
    Ding
    Spending your life attending meetings and going door to door spreading twisted doctrines doesn't sound to me like the best way to live...
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I've mentioned this here before and I find it quite typical now that I'm up to speed on all things JW and TTATT.

Met a DF'ed bro through some friends say 20 years ago and the bro ( long back in for family and money in the pipe ) was astounded that a single then thirty something male didn't have a revolving carousel of loose women in and out of his house, that I didn't hit the strip clubs on aregular basis, that I had sound finances through hard honest work and not get rich quick schemes and that I was alcohol and drug free and had high moral standards all whilst being a generally good person with some Bible based knowledge.

Quite funny, and sad

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To take a proactive position, the JWS organization can be helpful to people who are involved in self destructive social behaviors like alcohol and drug abuse, loose sexual conduct ..etc., but the organization and its chosen elder Seers address these issues amateurishly, without a supportive education backing them up.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

*Even if it isn't the truth, it's still the best way to live!*

Come to think of it, I have heard this sentiment before. Just after I was actually baptized when I was a teenager. It is little wonder that JWs have problems with sever alcohol abuse and even turning to drugs.

When the gestapo elders learn of someone having issues with booze and or drugs, they simply pin everything on the struggling person. Most elders are NOWHERE NEAR, close to having the qualifications to deal with individuals dealing with drug or alcohol problems. Some need professional help.

Help from people who have the qualifications to do so. From an organization which discourages education which attains such qualifications.

On the other hand, many believe that the quality of life in the JWs is just the way to go. Its the social aspect of it I guess which pleases them.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I heard Freddie Franz say this at a Gilled graduation back in the spring of 1976. (of course followed by loud clapping from all the drones sitting in the auditorium) I think that's when the foundation began to crack. ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit