"Even if it isn't the truth, it's still the best way to live"

by Simon 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    they are the same as everyone else - good, bad and indifferent

true statement, I have witness friends I love dearly and they are amazing people.

one of my favorites...

Image result for good and bad takes religion

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Well, Simon...

It is definitely a consolation when all other reasons are lost. Even knowing TTATT, I really enjoy my social click and interactions inside the Org.

Having been conditioned/indoctrinated since birth presents a personality molded to a certain degree where anything else is so foreign that it is literally uncomfortable.

Believe me, I have tried social interactions with non-JWs, mainly co-workers and it just doesn't work out for me. The minute the drunken behavior, fowl language, smoking, excessive displays of affection (loose sexual conduct), you know, the "anything goes" behavior begins at social events of non-JWs I just need to leave. It is not how I was raised, not who I would ever aspire to be.

Conditioning/indoctrination runs the deepest.

DY

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I had that said to me by a relative, an Elder, and my reply was, "Not for me it isn't, I am a lover of truth, and cannot live a lie, or teach lies to others."

Funny, he never talks religion with me these days.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

We once had a district overseer (seemed like a really nice guy -down to earth) who at an assembly talked about that.

He said if it NOT the truth - it is NOT the best way to live because it would be a lie. BOY WAS HE RIGHT!

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    OUTLAW You should preface your posts with a warning: If you are enjoying a beverage while reading this post, please swallow before continuing! Almost got wine all over my Kindle!!!
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

OUTLAW You should preface your posts with a warning: If you are enjoying a beverage while reading this post, please swallow before continuing! Almost got wine all over my Kindle!!!....SafeAtHome

..............................http://rs717.pbsrc.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/Smiley25-1.gif~c200

• macys
    macys
    I hear this all the time. It is a straw man argument in typical JDub fashion LOL
  • Simon
    Simon
    the "anything goes" behavior begins at social events of non-JWs

I think you are implying a correlation.

People in"the truth" behave immorally, people outside "the truth" are often moral. There is no causality.

You're hanging around with the wrong people.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I met a JW lady yesterday who said it was no longer the "generation that will not pass away" but an "era" that will not pass away.

I thought WTH??? Is that what you tell yourselves now to justify wasting your life?

• Magnum
    Magnum

The main problem with that, to me, is that I didn't and couldn't live while I was a JW. I was all in and had no time to do anything else. I was always behind and always felt guilty. I was miserable the whole time and was desperate for the "new world" to come and deliver me. The main thing I wanted deliverance from was the JW routine and lifestyle. I thought the "new world" would be different.

JWdom took my life completely and prevented me from being able to do charitable things. I'm exremely concerned about suffering and would like to have worked towards the alleviation of at least some of it, but JWdom made me think I was doing the best thing I could to alleviate suffering. It also put me in the financial situation I'm in now. My wife and I survive, but we can't get ahead and will never be able to retire.

I have a really kind, older family member who is very sick and in need of help - financial and otherwise. However, I'm in no position to help due to my having been a JW.

No, it's not the best way to live. Maybe the moral part is, but not the whole mostly wasteful, meaningless JW routine.

edited to add: As further evidence that I couldn't really live as a JW is the fact that to me it seems like I entered a time warp when I became a JW and went from 25 yrs old to 55 in a flash. I now sometimes see old school friends and see that they have grandchildren and have lived full lives. I can't relate to it; it's shocking to me. I stilll feel like I and they are 25. I've tried to explain the situation to them, but I can tell that they just can't understand. I spent the prime of my life waiting on the ("imminent") end of the world. I was always in emergency mode. It was a blur. Now that I've come out of that mode, I have a 25-yr-old mind stuck in a 55-yr-old body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit