P. Ms Letter to non subscibers to Redress Scheme

by jonahstourguide 45 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wozza
    wozza

I watched the ABC news report and was pleased to note the Jehovahs Witness church was named first

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Even when guilt is established, they still don’t report to the police. Hence, this has nothing to do with the 2 witness rule. Its all about them not wanting to let the authorities in what they perceive as being “their business”.

Yes, of course there’s an element of that.

But as in everything I think the main reason is to protect their image - not to the police, the public or judiciary - but to Jehovah’s witnesses themselves. Above everything else they don’t want Jehovah’s witnesses to see A. there are criminals among them and B. that consequently Jehovah’s witnesses are just like any other religion and just like any other group of people.

Loss of face to ordinary Jehovah’s witnesses is more important to them even than money, because essentially “The Brand” is money in the bank to them.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I doubt Jehovah’s witnesses have ever been in receipt of commonwealth funding :( so that’s not going to phase them.

I also note they got in that little piece about there being “less than 10 applicants” in their response, so any Jehovah’s witnesses or bible studies who take the time to read the press will dismiss those few applicants as “bitter apostates” or mentally ill. I only wish the govt, in naming and shaming Watchtower, had mentioned the 1006 cases unearthed by the C.A.R.C. That may have shaken up anyone reading the govt’s statement.

• Tantalon
  • MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I read through this thread, and honestly didn’t know what this scheme is all about. Looks like the site is here:

https://www.nationalredress.gov.au/about/about-scheme

I’m still not sure what it all entails. The idea is that an organization “signs on” to the scheme. Then people who have been abused in the context of that organization come forward. They get counseling, acknowledgement, apologies, and a payment of some amount. Do I have that right?

When the organization “signs on”, does that organization agree to pay whoever comes forward no matter what?

I’m guessing the WT doesn’t want to sign on because it implies guilt, and obligates them to pay anyone that comes forward?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Yes you are right ,this Redress Scheme came about as a result of the ARC of Institutions with Child Sexual abuse cases and indentified the JW religion as one of the worst offenders.

And such institutions have had up to 2 years to comply by June 30th.

And the JW`s have point blank refused to join and even sent a letter rationalizing their position to the Govt.

The audacity and arrogance ,let alone not "paying back caesar`s things to caesar " is mind boggling.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The WTB&TS / Jehovah`s Witnesses are doing a great job of dragging Jehovah`s name through the mud here in Australia.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Not everyone who claims to be a victim will automatically be paid under the Redress Scheme.

An Independent Decision Maker will consider your application. They are highly experienced people from a range of backgrounds
    The Independent Decision Maker is the person that decides if a person can access redress under the Scheme, and if so, what redress the institution(s) needs to make. To do this, the Independent Decision Maker considers all the information provided in your application and by the institution(s). If they determine that the events are likely to have happened, then an offer of redress will be made.

https://www.nationalredress.gov.au/applying/what-happens-next#step2

Now I guess Watchtower doesn't want any filthy wordly person decide om their behalf they should apologize and or cough up money.

The redress scheme looks fair enough. After all, each application if reviewed individually.

It could very well be that the Decision Maker decides in most cases that JW don't need to pay as the abuse didn't happen in their church building or while the victim was in their custody (as per JWs claims).

But the core issue is that Watchtower wants to control everything themselves. They don't tolerate interference from outsiders. That becomes clear everytime one government or another wants to poke their nose into Watchtower business, whether it's CSA related or not.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@AA:

Thanks. That’s what I figured. I can easily see the WT not wanting to commit to anything. Even though they would have an independent review, I’m sure they don’t want to held responsible at all. And I can easily see them not wanting to show any sign of guilt.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Weird, I haven't heard anything yet about the "persecution in Australia" like we did the "persecution in France" or the "persecution in Russia".

Guess they don't want people looking into this too much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit