C.T. Russell's grave vandalized

by RR 40 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

I attended a week long [six day] Bible Student convention in Johnstown, PA, just outside of Pittsburgh, there was a sister from Romania who wanted to visit Pastor Russell's grave, so we drove the 2 hours up there, the last time I was there was in 1999.

Well, apparently Russell'sgrave was vandalized, on the front and back of the tombstone there are these photos of Russell embedded into the granite, someone decided to keep a momento and ripped them off, so there's just a hole where the pictures were.

No respect for the dead, oh well. Just a note, if the perp is out there. Those photos are not originals, the grave was vandalized many years ago and the Bible Students restored it with replacements. They'll most likely do the same, since the Watchtower Society could care less.

RR

• minimus
    minimus

I have to wonder who would do such a disrespectful thing. Even if a person doesn't agree with another's theology, we all should respect the dead. Hope it was stupid kids and not some overzealous JW's.

• teejay
    teejay

>>> Hope it was stupid kids and not some overzealous JW's.

I hope it was stupid kids and not some overzealous ex-JWs.

• onacruse
    onacruse

It's simply incredible how disrespectful some people can be. Such as the vagaries of life are, we feel free to rip on the reputations of those long dead...but the resting place of their bodies deserves honor.

Craig

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I couldn't careless. Big deal! So a cult leader's grave get vandelized.

Maybe they even pissed on it too you never know.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

well you know they danced on it lol

• blondie
    blondie

We have had a wave of grave vandalism in our area. There are other more constructive ways to make a religious statement. And if it vandals, those same type of people could be smashing the headstone you put over your parents grave.

There is a reason why the phrase "grave robbers" is so derogatory.

Blondie

• donkey
    donkey
    we all should respect the dead

Why?

What does respecting the dead mean? And once again why?

Jack

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    What does respecting the dead mean? And once again why?

Respecting the dead means having the common decency not to commit a crime and vandalize their final resting place.

Would you want someone pissing on your mother's grave? Would you want someone stealing flowers you bring to their memorial or breaking apart the headstone you paid for?

I doubt it.

It is a simple case of reciprocity. Even though I am not Christian...

Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.

• donkey
    donkey

Reborn,

I agree with that but as you enjoyed pointing out - there are no moral absolutes .

So let's take Osama Bin Laden, if he is dead and then buried - should we show him respect because he is now dead? I know I have jumped to an extreme example but I am testing to see where we feel it ceases to be black and white.

Jack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit