A Question for Those Who Believe in a Higher Power...

by Piph 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Or Bart saying, Rub a dub dub, thank for the grub.

Will

• gumby
    gumby

a Higher Power?

Every single person who has one can't explin them or describe them or has spoken to them.It is nothing more than a guess at what a person believes in. How do people have a higher power in a guess?

As I go through the cycle of trying to figure out what all this is about, I wonder how so many can believe in anything without some sort of evidence.

Yes, we have evidence some say, in what we see in designs in nature........but still.....the designer, or "Higher Power" does not speak, or appear, or anything else.

Gumby

Gumby

• ros
    ros

Hi, Piph:

I believe in a Creator because for me if is simply impossible not to. To my reasoning, it takes more faith to believe that everything that we see and observe came about from nothing than to believe in a Creator. That's my launching point for faith, not the Bible--as you said. My faith is built on other perceptions and experiences from that root.

To skeptics, I would ask: How would you describe color to one who is born blind--or even just color blind? How would you describe red to them? If you were born blind, or color blind, would you not believe in color?

~Ros

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    To skeptics, I would ask: How would you describe color to one who is born blind--or even just color blind? How would you describe red to them? If you were born blind, or color blind, would you not believe in color?

What's the chain of logic that gets you from there to believing that there must be a god? Are you saying you have some extra physiological abilities that skeptics don't have?

• SYN
    SYN

Evidence exists which can be reproduced in many laboratories for the existence of photo-sensitive cells in the eye transmitting relevant signals to the brain.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the sensation of "communing with God".

There is no need for belief when you've got proof.

• obiwan
    obiwan

You know, it's kinda interesting you ask. Lately I've been thinking about prayer, if I should, if I shouldn't. My wife says I should, she does, but then she hasn't had the ordeal that I have. I just don't think he will listen, not because of the jw teaching, I just don't think he'll listen. Guess I'm at a crossroads with this.

• cat1759
    cat1759

Dearest Piph and everyone,

Consider when you were a little child. You would wonder at the amazement of such little things as putting a leaf in a running stream and know that you were loved by God. You didn't know much about God at that time except he was there because in your little mind God was only as far away as a hello. As we grow older logic sets in and we feel that if we are not good enough, or we have done something wrong the guilt and fear sets in and we no longer feel that closeness with God. Through the teachings of the organization we loose that closeness. Yet God is still just a hello away. God has not changed we have.

Reach out and know he is there. Feel the chills when you know he is actually listening to you. WE don't need an organized religion to be close to God. We need that child within to come back out and help us through the rough times. We need to have faith in the fact that God actually does love us in spite of what we have been through and maybe more so because we are still living and didn't give up.

After my father died I would cry and cry. I hated to be near anyone or anything. One day my son cut and cropped a picture with only my Dad in it. He put it in a frame and gave it to me. I just looked at that picture and cried. I later poured my heart out when things were closing in. Each time I get to a point where I can't take anymore I put this picture on the table and light a candle. I sit in front of it and let him know how I am feeling and tell him that I expect these things done. As soon as I am done I feel like the world is lifted off my shoulders and a new day has begun. Yes it is a picture of my dad but at that time I didn't believe in a God who would seemingly back the organization. Now I know different as God is not backing GB.

We are in the likenes of God. He is the other half of us. That is how close we are to him. That is why happiness is found within.

Cathy

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Consider when you were a little child. You would wonder at the amazement of such little things as putting a leaf in a running stream and know that you were loved by God. You didn't know much about God at that time except he was there because in your little mind God was only as far away as a hello. As we grow older logic sets in

If only you'd stopped there. You're right though. As children everything we don't understand can best be explained by God or Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. It makes childhood more magical. But as we get older and begin to understand the way the world really works we realise that these benevolent super-beings don't provide a very good explanation for anything and we pursue and find alternative explanations - ones that fit better with observable reality. It's part of growing up.

• Hamas
    Hamas

In my opinion, God exists.

My belief in early Christian writings that were included in the final bible cannon has been shaken by some irrifutable evidence, but I must still believe in God, as he gets me through my day.

I do pray to God, but as I have mentioned on this forum before, I think that God is a laid back kinda guy. I think that you should worship whoever works for you. To me, God is real, and he does the job for me.

None of us really know the truth, so we may as well worship who works for us.

Check out this quote from a wise old man :

"The Qur'an is just a religion, and if that is right for you, then use it. But if the Truth is right, then please think about it and listen. Analyze what is within yourself. There might be a Bible within you, there might be a Qur'an within you, there might be a Jesus within you, there might be a book and a story within you. . . We cannot say that they are wrong and we cannot say that they are right. . . Therefore understand and correct yourself."

BAWA HAIYADDEEN

• Robdar
    Robdar

The skeptics around here are worse than the witnesses knocking on your door telling you that you do not have the truth, only they do.

Sure, there may not be any empirical evidence at this time that God exists. But it wasn't that long ago that we didn't have proof that many things existed. That doesn't mean that they didn't. It just means that we didn't have proof.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit