A Question for Those Who Believe in a Higher Power...

by Piph 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

"Oh yes, God exists!......but the bible cannot be trusted or is not gods word at all."

For all who say they believe in god and not the bible...........where does the idea of God come from? Is it other religions along with Christianity who has brought us the idea of "god"? What if you were one born of a primitive tribe from bumf**k nowhere land? Would you still have a concept of god? Just because we see design and beauty we say there must be a god..........yet we accept the fact that millions are starving and suffering, children are being abused, and every other type of attrocity is being commited each second..........yet we still see god in it all. All these bad thingsd are swept under the carpet and the beauty is all the believer notices to comment about.

Gumby

• rockon
    rockon

I ask for things that can not be provided except by a higher power. Hard to explain, but I wanted to see if God would still answer my prayers. I don't care whether you believe it or agree with it or think it is silly. It is what gets me thru the day.

Rockon

• gumby
    gumby

I have to go to work now and hate to break everyones heart at my absense.......

Before I leave I want to ask Funkyman............why in the hell aren't you at work today young man?

Gumby

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I ask for things that can not be provided except by a higher power.

Such as?

Hard to explain, but I wanted to see if God would still answer my prayers.

That's a reasonable desire. It's very easy to attribute supernatural causes to mundane events. What precautions did you take to avoid this?

I don't care whether you believe it or agree with it or think it is silly. It is what gets me thru the day.

So are you saying that it's an emotional crutch rather than part of observable reality?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Before I leave I want to ask Funkyman............why in the hell aren't you at work today young man?

I am in work. In fact, the only times I ever post here are when I'm in work!

• rem
    rem

Funky,

Actually, you were closer to the truth than you may have known when you brought up 'Z-Rays' (I'm sure you've probably heard this story). Some scientists way back in the early 20th century thought they detected 'N-Rays'. The trouble was that even though they were confident they discovered N-Rays, no one else could replicate their experiments. Well, actually, some people could - believers in N-Rays. Also, the way N-Rays were defined made them non-falsifiable. It took a crafty scientist to figure out how the self-deception worked and to show that there really was no evidence for N-Rays.

http://skepdic.com/blondlot.html

The God theory, like N-Rays and Santa Claus, is a non-falsifiable theory which means at best it's worthless at explaining anything about the world around us.

rem

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Okay, I could be wrong; but I think that Piph intended for this thread to be a nondebative survey of the opinions of people who believe in a higher power.

For those of you who want to explain why you feel that God does not exist, Piph has another thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/55901/1.ashx

Maybe we can keep the two threads distinct, since that seems to have been Piph's intention in starting them?

• Piph
    Piph

Wow, this thread went crazy! That's great!

Try the kwan yin vow...

Integ, what is that?

Once we have grown up, perhaps we naturally move to a different type of communication with God... a *knowing* type. Instead of our communication being one-way, perhaps it starts to become two way? I'm not talking about hearing his booming voice... but rather you just become more sensitive to your surroundings... more compassionate.

upandatom, I find it ironic that I was thinking almost exactly the same thoughts when I was on my way in to work this morning. I was thinking, maybe I don't have to exactly talk to him all the time, just kind of be aware and sense a powerful, loving presence? Kind of like a companionable silence with an old friend.

I have discovered...(and I wasn't the first in this discovery"!!) I am a whole being with no need of an "external" god who judges me as "not good enough"....that is an unhealthy human thingy...the judgments....the condemnations....

Estee, I totally agree with you...that's a wonderful place to be! And eminently frustrating when other people are trying to motivate you by guilt! Then you try to explain God's love to them and they're like, 'well I see that you're spiritually weak right now.' Well I say go to hell! lol

Consider when you were a little child. You would wonder at the amazement of such little things as putting a leaf in a running stream and know that you were loved by God. You didn't know much about God at that time except he was there because in your little mind God was only as far away as a hello. As we grow older logic sets in and we feel that if we are not good enough, or we have done something wrong the guilt and fear sets in and we no longer feel that closeness with God. Through the teachings of the organization we loose that closeness. Yet God is still just a hello away. God has not changed we have.

cat1759, I'm really sorry to hear about your father.

It's funny, but things kind of happened differently with me...when I was little I never (well I still haven't) sensed God's presence from nature. LOL I actually thought of God as a superhero in red and yellow, with a friendly grin and a beard, with a big J on his chest. Ha ha...until my Gramma told me it was bad that I thought that way...I think that was the beginning of me distancing myself from "Jehovah" and I started thinking of him as a distant, cold entity. Later in my preteens, though, in some depressed and desperate moments I prayed earnestly and felt love and peace that I'd never felt before...but I wasn't able to reconcile that with the guilt I still felt from the org. until the last year or so.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. ((((cat))))

quote: Analyze what is within yourself. There might be a Bible within you, there might be a Qur'an within you, there might be a Jesus within you, there might be a book and a story within you. . . We cannot say that they are wrong and we cannot say that they are right. . . Therefore understand and correct yourself

Thanks, Hamas, I really liked that quote. I read somewhere else about writing your own Bible, and I've been trying to think about my own beliefs lately and maybe writing them down and collecting them. I find it a comforting thought.

just in jwland they always told you that unless you were a jw he wouldn't answer your prayers. WRONG!!!!

Rockon, I totally agree with you. I've known "worldly" people who felt closer to God than I have. That's not an accident or a mistake. It's so arrogant to believe God would choose Jehovah's Witnesses to the exclusion of all other people.

Thanks for your experiences, too, Ros. It's really great to hear from all of you, even the skeptics!

• Piph
    Piph
    Maybe we can keep the two threads distinct, since that seems to have been Piph's intention in starting them?

I guess it would be more organized that way, wouldn't it? It doesn't really matter to me too much though...I've just been kind of skimming through the stuff that I'm not that interested in, so. It's up to you guys, if you want to post on topic or not! lol

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

funkyderek,

What's the chain of logic that gets you from there to believing that there must be a god? Are you saying you have some extra physiological abilities that skeptics don't have?

Physiological or psychological or both; and, furthermore, I'm not sure whether it's the skeptics (the Power of Rational Thinking TM) or the theists (Gnosis TM) who have the extra abilities. Either theists are hallucinating, or skeptics are blind -- and it's impossible to prove absolutely which is true; nor does it matter, so long as everybody gets to be honest.

Run a websearch using these terms: "tom kunesh atheism". You're in for a treat.

Quote from a sermon about Mr. kunesh: "So why was tom smiling when I voiced my preconceptions about atheism? I think it was because he recognized in me a very common type of modern 'theist.' Yes, I worship at the altar of Science and Rationality. In the 18th century I would have said that the laws of physics can predict the path of every particle in the universe to the last decimal place. Modern discoveries such as the uncertainty principle, Goedel's completeness theorem, and chaos theory have unseated determinism, but in me as within many people today, there is an abiding faith in the bards of Cambridge and Chapel Hill. Our priests teach in the university and design our VCRs. Our bishops chair departments and edit journals. Our Popes are anointed in Stockholm. (Click here to read the rest)

GentlyFeral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit