What Made You Leave The "Truth"? Was It False Prophecy, People, Blood, etc.

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

JW's like to believe that people who leave the organization do it for selfish reasons or due to impatience and not "waiting on Jehovah". There's a variety of reasons for persons making the decision and saying, "That's it! I'm not doing this anymore". So what was "IT"??? What made you clearly realize that this was not the "truth" and you HAD to get out?

• gumby
    gumby

I realised the Watchtower was lying about unicorns and found out they truely exist(ed)

Gumby

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

There was a feeling for a long time that something was just not right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. There was then the issue of organ transplant and the changing policy on that one. It hit home, because someone I was very close to died because of it. I also observed the behavior of a young jw who was friends with my son. He had an elder for a father, and literally spewed hatred at a neighbor of ours when he came for a visit. I knew that teaching a child to hate cannot be a mark of the true religion. I remember sitting in a watchtower study doing the math...25cents per copy of each issue x I forget how many millions of issues twice a month... Where was all the money going? There were other issues too that finally prompted me to do some research. I had all the society's books going back to the turn of the century, and I read nearly all of them. By then, it was undeniable. It could not be, by any streach of the imagination, the "truth"

Coffee

• mouthy
    mouthy

I believed it all.They kicked me out because I didnt believe Jesus came in 1914 invisably....It was the hardest time in my life. Now I am so grateful----but it took two years of Hell to come to know they were liars.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

it was like building a tower with Lego-blocs.
    Not 1 single issue but all together.
    The "Slave", the blood, the behaviour and the shunning to my daughter + all what Viv showed me.

• minimus
    minimus

This proves to me that there is no one single thing that will make JW's up and leave. It has to be a number of things that finally come to a head that forces the issue. I know of no one that has just left because of only one teaching or just one situation.

• gambit
    gambit

It's equivalent to explaining to someone why you left an "emotionally abusive" relationship. What words can describe the feelings that you just know something isn't right... that what you say is overlooked... that what you hear doesn't quite match the behavior... it's all the little stuff, petty as some would say (especially the emotionally abusive ones), never quit an out-and-out lie, but "emotionally dishonest" if there is such a thing...

gambit

• minimus
    minimus

As with an emotionally abusive relationship, it could be that when the abuser threatens to kill you, that things are finally taken seriously, so too, it might be with the "truth". I don't know of any that were devout Witnesses that suddenly realized something wasn't right and just stopped going, cold turkey.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I left because I was told that there needed to be two eyewitnesses to an act of child abuse. I felt this rule was evil and I could not in good conscience associate with an organization or a group of people that condoned such evil. That was 14 years ago. It has only been in the last 4 or 5 years that I've come to believe that I am not worthy of death at God's hands for leaving "his" organization.

However, take all this with a grain of salt. In the past couple of days I've discovered that I'm not only thin skinned but I also use highly emotive language and I am completely unbalanced in my viewpoint.

So what do I know?

• rocky220
    rocky220

False Profecies combined with prevelant double standard and hypocrisy within this certain congregations.[same thing experienced in others as well.]
    rocky220
    [from the glad to be out of the Botchtower Class]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit