What Made You Leave The "Truth"? Was It False Prophecy, People, Blood, etc.

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Prejudice and ignorance was common by Russell and his associates. Reading their view of our "coloured" brothers is pretty interesting. The thought that black persons were good for their work or slavery is mentioned in some of the earlier publications.

• SisterLiz
    SisterLiz

It started with the double standards I saw at the hall. One guy got censored for going to a club with his friends while an elder who got caught committing adultery (by the way, he didn't confess, he was totally unrepentant) only got a slap on the wrist and his priviledges removed. Then it was the issue of money. All those donations...really cheap labour from the people at bethel.....it's all a business. Then I began thinking about all their teachings, from a neutral standpoint. Not thinking from the perspective of a Jehovah Witness, thinking rationally, I realized how absurd the whole thing is. They are among the pettiest group of people I've ever had the disadvantage of knowing.

• Betsy
    Betsy

It started with me when they wouldn't give me an application to Bethel because I was a sister! Thank God I didn't actually apply and get accepted!

Then I really wanted to go out with a guy from work. I was still a good little pioneer at this point, but I had this nagging thought in the back of my mind - what would really happen? Would Jehovah strike me down right then? So I went out with him (and a little more ) and the rest is history - it was all uphill from there! I never really thought about doctrine issues etc.. until I had moved to CA and started looking on the internet, about 2 years after I left.

Betsy

• minimus
    minimus

I know of a young man that applied for Bethel only to be rebuffed. Soon thereafter he was appointed a M.S. He was very, very upset that he was not able to go to Bethel. After a few years of trying, he got disillusioned with the "truth" and left. This year, the elders got to him and announced his disassociation.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

When ever I am asked by a JW why we "left the troof " (which dosen't happen very often) I reply by quoting from Matthew 24:15,16

I like the Amplified Bible's version best. [ AMP ]

Matthew 24
    15 So when you see the appalling sacrilege [the abomination that astonishes and makes desolate], spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the Holy Place--let the reader take notice and [1] ponder and consider and heed [this]-- (1)
    16 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains;

I think the NWT is " So when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, standing where it ought not to be"..........

let the reader use discernment.............

I simply tell them that as the scripture states, I have used discernment, and I have come to the conclusion, that the Watchtower Society, is the detestable thing (appalling sacrilege) standing where it ought not to be (standing in the Holy Place) by proclaiming to be directed by God and that they are his visible organization on earth. So we fled.

Funny no one asks me that anymore!

• crownboy
    crownboy

hooberus, it's interesting that you asked that question. The first time I really started thinking about the JW's critically was when I accidentally stumbled upon Quotes' website. One of the topics I looked under was the comments the JW's had made about blacks, and while I was a little suprised, it really didn't bother me that much to be honest. I was more shocked about the dates they had formerly predicted would be the end of the world, and the old anti-oral sex stand (because it really began to make me realize how controlling a religion it was). I'm more appauled at their current brazeness of proclaiming how much better at race relations they have always been, than the fact that they were somewhat racist before.

But, yes, I do suppose that if I had known about those comments a lot earlier it would have had an effect on my perception of the religion.

• minimus
    minimus

If a person can see that they in fact, are being CONTROLLED, then they might just up and leave. My wife went to 2 meetings this week and she can now clearly see how the elders and Society try to CONTROL EVERYTHING you do and think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit