"High" education

by Esmeralda001 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Yes, I totally ignored the anti higher education rhetoric from the Wt. In fact, I was working on my doctorate even as an elder. My strategy was that I never told anyone. If they found out I was going to school, I just stated that I was required by my employer to take some classes. If they knew I was going for a degree no one asked.

I now am teaching full time as an accounting professor. Education can be a "game changer" in a person's life. It was for me.

Education is not just for the young. I was in my late 40s when I finished my degree. Education is not just for the young. My oldest student was in his 70s. I have a colleague who is working on his doctorate and he is in his 80s.

Let me know if you want to link up via LinkedIn.

• MexiBritYank
    MexiBritYank
    There was a little murmering from older elders. I silenced that by telling them they were stumbling my non cult member parents. I was actually "promoted" to MS while in university.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I went to college and finished just as they started ramping back up on the anti-education rhetoric so I didn't get much condemnation at the time. Afterwards, though, anytime someone asked me what I did for work I could hear the disgust dropping off their tongue as their inevitable response was "oh did you have to go to school for that" "was that a 4-year degree?" Ugh. Other than the cult, though, college was probably the best thing I ever did.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, hence my username. No, some parts were difficult. It required a lot of motivation and hard work, spanning 3 years.

But, and here's the important part, it was worth it. Overall, I enjoyed my time at uni.

I thoroughly recommend it. Find a subject that you're interested in and go for it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

We have several in our family that are now into their late 60's. They are still working hard physically. They have no retirement and are paying the high cost of medical insurance due to being self employed. These were the ones that were told (via JW literature) back in 1969 that they would not need education because the end was sooo close. These ones chose to pioneer. Are they resentful? Yes they are. We hear it all of the time. They are now encouraging us to get our children educated so they can support themselves. ToesUp

I am in concert with the above, and it all applies to me, excepting being resentful.

I had wonderful experiences as a pioneer, elder, and Bethelite serving in a foreign-language congregation. I was a poster child for the "Truth" because I gave up college upon baptism. Nonetheless, an educator in the field of fine arts [sans degree], I fervently believed in education and touted its benefits and virtues while an active Witness. To make ends meet, I still do hard physical work in maintenance, which I have loved since childhood.

There's something to be said for autodidacticism . . .

CC

• Watchtower-Free
  • Esmeralda001
    Esmeralda001

@Toesup and @New-York44M

do you think it's a good strategy to say that I dropped out of shcool and lie about my activities while I am actually building up my career? Working 25 hours/week while being a full-time student is already stressful as it is. The last thing I want to feel is people's negativity.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    I received a college degree in my early twenties with virtually no support from my family. My only regret was not getting more education at that time.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

No...I think you should just be vague about the info you supply to them. You don't have to go into detail about your schooling. I have gone even as far as telling some of the more intrusive/nosy ones that it's really none of their business or I'd rather not speak about it.

They can't throw the negativity at you if they don't have any information.

If they ask how school is going, tell them it's challenging but you are enjoying the challenge. Or just say, it is going fine. Smile....they hate it when you smile. lol

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I know many a MS's who have pursued higher education. Even to be on the Circuit Assembly and interviewed. During their interview they even mentioned ''well after college I went on to......"""

You can't let a few people's narrow-mindedness hinder you from being educated!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit