What did you hope for just to avoid Saturday witnessing?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 50 Replies latest social family

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Armageddon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it never came.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I remember one day I woke up (I was fifteen) and when my parents came up to get me, I told them I didn't want to be a JW anymore.

This led into a long, heartfelt conversation about my life that (oopsie!) extended past the time that going out in service would be possible.

So I tried to get into these tearful, heart to heart hugging talks with my mom or dad once a month, usually on Saturday or Sunday. It was all BS, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

When I pioneered, I would count the time I spent with unbaptized publishers as time. Even at the pool or the donut shop, the clock never stopped ticking! Every five minutes or so I'd ask, "What's Jehovah's name?" get my answer, and count an RV.

Heh heh heh.

CZAR

• freein89
    freein89

God I hated service. Dragging my poor children out there no matter what. I would be relieved if somebody was sick, even if it was me.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I don't know what type of congregations you guys were in but I know in ours rain didn't stop our preaching activities. We were over zealous. Once in awhile the meeting would be cancelled due to severe snow storms. This past winter I saw jws out in service despite state police asking people to stay off the roads if they did not have official business.

• lulu
    lulu

1. Cyclone.

2. Over 100 degrees.

3. Visitors.

4. Snake bite.

5. Any old thing, really.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Don't take me seriously there folks!

But honestly, I used to love it when it was absolutely piss-pouring rain or a snowstorm. We'd either cancel service, or do Return Visits, or scheduled Bible Studies.

Don't kid yourself, the die-hards would still go out in service during some of the most dangerous road/street conditions. Some resulting in some fender benders or going off the road. Dedication? No, stupidity .

The car breaking down, was always a good one.

But looking back, oh hell....I sure don't miss it.

I used to keep Kaopectate on-hand. Service was torture, getting diarrhea was oh-so convenient.

• I got a new attitude!
    I got a new attitude!

It's been a long time, but I sure do remember those feelings. Actually, I was almost relieved when one of my children weren't feeling well, so I would have an excuse to stay home from the meetings.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

I'd use the not feeling well. I would actually wish for rain. I'd wake up early Saturday morning to peek out the window hoping that it would be raining or snowing.

Also a good one was oops!!! forgot to turn on the alarm to get up early to get out in service or Sunday morning meetings. Those damn alarm clocks that don't do the job.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I would actually wish for rain.

Bless you, cj. It must have worked as we jumped for joy when it rained!

Dansk - who now thoroughly enjoys his Saturday mornings - in bed, of course!

• startingover
    startingover

Off topic slightly, but I remember the great feeling that used to come over me when the announcement was made that the speaker didn't show up for the public talk. As I sat through the WT study, I remember looking toward the door every time I heard it open hoping it wouldn't be the speaker. And also hoping that there wasn't some over zealous elder that would dig out an old talk and give it to fill in. (I'm ashamed to say I actually did that once in a zealous period in my life) And when the last review questions were answered and there was not going to be a talk, what a great feeling that was!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit