famous jehovahs witnesses

by Rush 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Stacey
    Stacey

There was a band that had a few popular songs about five years ago called the New Radicals, sort of pop alternate music. The lead singer was Gregg Alexander. It's actually a pretty good album, called "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too". The popular song was "Get What You Give", you'd probably know it if you heard it.

From what I understand he was raised a JW also. There are a couple of songs on the album where it seems like he's refering to the Dubs. Including a song titled "Jehovah Made This Whole Joint For You". And I mean joint.

Anyways, cool album, even though it's a few years old. I'd recommend it.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Larry Graham (Sly and the Family Stone, Graham Funk) is still a JW. At least he was last year when he was on the District Convention in Rochester MN. I thought it was interesting to hear a multi-millionaire giving us all advice on how to 'simplify' our lives. how material things were not the important things in life. He is the one who started studying with Prince. Saw him at a convention too. Don't know if he is baptised or not.

Eisenhower's family were associated with the Bible Students. There is some info somewhere on the web that gives more info. Very interesting.

And the Wayans brothers were raised JW.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Glitter - you're joking aren't you? Tony Adams! Next you'll be telling me Vinnie Jones is studying.

Bolton Wanderers ex-footballer Eric Bell is a JW. He either scored or broke his leg (or both) in the Cup Final. Wayne Sleep was brought up a witness! So was Ginger Spice.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Glitter,

and that bloke with the fringe out of Slade.

Did he ever explain how he could sing:

"Now here it is, Merry Christmas, everybody's having fun..."?

Spanner

• heathen
    heathen

scooby snax--------------- I couldn't help but notice the mention of Harrison Ford . Are you sure you didn't just see the movie Witness ???????? Where on earth did you hear that ? That's gotta be a career killer to be in hollywood where politics are becoming more and more the thing . I am a big fan of Harrison Ford and would hate to see him crussified by the media .

I have heard rumors of Neil Young being jw . Don't know how true that is either.

• jws
    jws

There was a thread on this a while back:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/45669/1.ashx

• jws
    jws
    ?? I guess I just don't understand why everybody is soooo curious about who famous JW's are? What's the big deal? It's not like we should feel we have something in common, right? I'm not being a smart a@@.......I just don't get it.

As a JW, I kinda felt proud and felt like it was a selling point for the religion. That somebody rich and famous, with a (presumed) wide circle of influences would actually choose the JW religion. I actually had a friend in high school who started coming to meetings with me because he was a big Michael Jackson fan. Lucky for him he stopped. Nowdays, the fact that celebrities are JWs does not give me pride, it astonishes me. It suprises me that famous people, who are usually wealthy and usually do have much more wordly experience would choose to be fooled by such utter nonsense and confined by it's strict rules. Scientology is big in Hollywood too. That also amazes me. But I think it's "new age" wierdness would be more appealing than old-fashioned strictness. As for famous JWs, it's also easier to see what they are doing, as their lives are more public. It would be of interest to JWs to see what the famous people get away with that they can't. Like, for instance, if Prince goes and sings Little Nicky, what sort of punishment will his elders enforce? If nothing, and a JW kid gets talked to for listening to it, then there's a double-standard that can further expose the JWs for the hypocrits they are.

• logansrun
    logansrun

A number of years ago, Fred Flinstone became a Witness and started pioneering. Here's proof:

• Brummie
    Brummie
    The Yorksire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe was NOT a JW when he committed his killings.

OK Gordy. I never saw the documentation I only know that at some point he became a JW, I thought he was that way inclined before prison.

Point is, he is still in the books of Famous JWS, and if he became famous first and then a JW then thats pretty much the story for most, they made their fame regardless of the Watchtower not because of it, so I also wonder why the Watchtower or JWs take credit for having a famous person involved...its not like it had anything to do with them, on the contrary, they would have surpressed an individuals right to fame.

Brummie

• teejay
    teejay

>>> ?? I guess I just don't understand why everybody is soooo curious about who famous JW's are? What's the big deal? It's not like we should feel we have something in common, right? I'm not being a smart a@@.......I just don't get it.

Sorry, Lost Diamond. You might wanna click on another thread because we're going to be talking about famous JWs in this one. Why? Because it's a big deal. -wink-

p.s. John Salley, former professional basketball player.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit