Men: Honest answers, please, to an honest question

by berylblue 87 Replies latest social current

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Funkyderik-- Is it FAIR to consider that one sex may be better suited to a job than the other??

I am not sure the word fair is correct. It is obvious that most women, could not be a concrete block mason and deal with 40 lb concrete blocks and wheel barrels with aprox. 100 lbs of concrete, to be wheeled up ramps to the second or third floors.

It would be INCORRECT to believe that either sex is not qualified by gender, to do any job.

Would it be fair to consider this when hiring a woman?

It would certainly be incorrect to consider this. Because at the point of hiring one, we do not know of their capableities and weaknesses. We find these things only after hiring them and through observation.

The exception to the last statement would be when it is obvious, as in the case of masonry work being done by a 120 lb womam that does not have a weight lifters body.

Outoftheorg

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    It's simply reinforcing the stereotype that men are bumbling idiots and would be completely unable to function if not for their wives who are attractive, competent, and long-suffering to the point of sainthood.

This is a stereotype?!

Andee
    Who always appreciates a "door-opener" with a smile and a thank you.
    (Then again, I AM getting older)

• Jayson
    Jayson
    People are all individuals and shoudl be judged on their own merits, not what sex they are.-Simon

I agree

In what sense are men and women equal, if they're not the same? Equal in value to society? Equal in overall abilities? Equally intelligent?-Funk

Equality does not mean identical. Isn't that clear enough?

In a philosophical sense if a individual wants to known if they see one sex as better than the other then you should turn to your mate and ask them if they think you treat them as an equal. jmo

It does not(or has never) bothered me one bit to work for or with a woman. All I ask is that the person that I work with be able to do the job.

• ballistic
    ballistic

All I ask is that the person that I work with be able to do the job

Changing the subject (I know) but that's quite rare these days, especially in large organisations and especially as you move up through levels of management.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Men and Women are too different to be called equal in any sense except for intelligent human.

We think differently, feel differently and so it goes.

Oaks, Apple trees, Orange trees, Pear trees, Maples, Dogwoods........we all have our place and worth. Women cannot be like men, though in a man's world it is many times required that we adapt and become more man than woman. But in the end, woman is what she is, woman.

Women around the world are the last to be freed and sadly many of us build and mold our sons and daughters to look at life not through a humanity lens but through a man/woman lens.

This must stop. We are humanity, not male and female but fellow builders of our species.

IW

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think men and women are far more alike than they are different, and far more alike than the average person gives credit for.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Interesting thoughts, everyone. Thanks.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just a final thought from me, was that recently visiting a 3rd world country for the first time had a big impact on me, I have become so aware of differing cultures, to such an extent it makes me feel different when posting. I realise that where these posts are actually read can mean so many different things to different people.

I think that much of what we discuss here is applicable to parts of Europe and America. I get the feeling that other countries are still somewhere in the 50s and other places in the 60s when we talk about equality, perhaps other places are streets ahead. I am struck by a profound sense that humanity is on the verge of change and that things will be different tomorrow.

Is this the case? Is the world about to change like we are on some kind of horizon? Thinking of what I've read recently in research about the "art deco" era, it seems like every generation thinks they are modern, and on the verge of a new world. Perhaps I am making the same mistake in thinking the world is just about to make it.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Now, when he calls, are you going to go out with him? Do you see the difference between the two?

Nosferatu,

I am not sure of the point you were trying to get across with your examples. Do you mind explaining what you are talking about?

If I say that I am going to call a man, I do it. If he is good looking, cool. If not, so what. Just because he isn't smooth while asking me out for a date doesn't mean that he wont be fun when we go out. As a matter of fact, if he isn't smooth, I would be inclined to think that he isn't a player and that would make him more attractive to me. Besides, he could be shy but also very intelligent and we could have a great time discussing philosophy. I am not much persuaded by looks. Intelligence gets me every time. If he is also nice looking, that is okay with me.

If you take your second example and make him taller and heavier, you will have my X. He swept me off my feet and look where that got me. However, we did have fun together until we didn't.

I think that I would be limiting myself by not dating them both. So, yes, I would call the first guy and yes, I would go out with the second guy if he called me.

You're thinking "Damn, he's cute. I wish he'd come over and talk to me". Most likely he won't, but for the sake of this example, he approaches you.

Nosfer,

Are you insulting me? Or are you insulting good looking guys by saying that they are snobs?

I have never wished for a good looking man to come up and talk to me. I know how to make introductions myself.

Robyn

• Jayson
    Jayson

Ballistic that is such a good post. I hope you put it into your own thread someday. I'd love to read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit