Men: Honest answers, please, to an honest question

by berylblue 87 Replies latest social current

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

My current boss is a woman, and frankly is the best manager I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

But surely the bottom line is that every individual has the ability to excel, either in qualities or strengths of personality, etc. To make categoric, gender-based, definitions is (IMHO) quite wrong.
    The word "equality" is frankly grossly overused.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    American, British and Irish media constantly portray men as inferior to women, and it seems perfectly OK to do so. Men's sexual abilities are constantly belittled, male diseases such as baldness or impotence are the subject of ridicule, dramas and sitcoms show men as being utterly incapable of looking after themselves and the most hilarious thing ever seems to be a man getting kicked in the balls.

Absolutely. It's viewed as ok to abuse any guy you want. There's a definite double standard.

Men and women, as people, are certainly not equal, but each have their own abilities that they are strong in. There are some shared traits, but they are few and far between.

If the question is "who is better" then that's a different matter. Both genders are equally worthless. Both genders have more idiosyncrasies and problems than a math book.

Women can be beautiful, and horrible. It depends on the person.

I find that I work very well with both sexes, as long as they're reasonable. I do find that a margin of women bosses like to overcompensate, but they are equally harsh to both men and women employees. The ladder is harder to climb for a woman, and there's more than a small amount of bitterness there.

It's all really a moot point anyway. No matter who you are, you're going to get equal amounts of static from males and females over your lifetime. It's just that females are allowed to get away with it, men are not.

ash

• teejay
    teejay

>>> Is this a statement about women, or just about you? You're obviously mentally superior to most people, men or women. But would you say there's a difference in the degree of your superiority? -- funkyderek

When I encounter a dumb man, he is truly dumb. If I had to compare (and that's what you're asking, right?) I'd say that dumb men are dumber than dumb women. By far.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Teejay,

I concur. And an average looking woman is far sexier than a sexy looking man.

B

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    American, British and Irish media constantly portray men as inferior to women, and it seems perfectly OK to do so. Men's sexual abilities are constantly belittled, male diseases such as baldness or impotence are the subject of ridicule, dramas and sitcoms show men as being utterly incapable of looking after themselves and the most hilarious thing ever seems to be a man getting kicked in the balls.

Absolutely. It's viewed as ok to abuse any guy you want. There's a definite double standard.

Look at comedies where the husband is a dork, yes, but also treats his wife like crap, but she still loves him and apparently it never occurs to her that she deserves better. "The Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" come immediately to mind...which are, admittedly, over-the-top cartoons, which I thought of mostly because my husband watches them every night

What does it say about us that we think that the way Homer treats Marge (he's awful to her...inconsiderate and uncaring) is "funny" or "entertainment"??? Why don't we think that kind of stuff is horrifying and completely not funny?

I understand guys' disgust with the way men are often portrayed on tv, etc, but don't you think it's also disgusting that these incapable, bumbling, stupid buffoons who treat women like crap, always have these beautiful, intelligent, accomplished wives who put up with being treated badly like that's just what women should expect???

• rocketman
    rocketman

Equal but obviously different.

• Realist
    Realist

oops just noticed this thread wasn't started by teenyuck

the variations between individuals are larger than the ones between the genders...therefore it would be stupid to say man or woman are superior.

on the average however man are superior in some fields (mainly mathematical disciplines) and woman are superior in others (languages etc.).

therefore we should work together instead of against each other!

• teejay
    teejay

>>> And an average looking woman is far sexier than a sexy looking man.

I'll have to take your word for that, logansrun. I wouldn't recognize a sexy looking man if one came up and kicked me in the shin.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    My X will tell you that in our relationship, he was the emotional one.

Hi Robyn! I'm not sure we're on the same track with the whole "emotional" thing. I'm not talking about emotional instability here, but more of how emotions affect their decisions. I'm going to pick on you for this example.

I hope that my next relationship is a little more balanced.

Okay, let's say you meet this next guy. He's everything that you wanted in a man physically. Now, sit there, at your computer and picture this man. Picture what he looks like. You done? Okay, let's get onto this meeting.

You see him in the grocery store looking at household cleaners. You're thinking "Damn, he's cute. I wish he'd come over and talk to me". Most likely he won't, but for the sake of this example, he approaches you.

Him: Um, Hi.
    You: Hello
    Him: Soooo, what are you shopping for.
    You: Oh just some stuff for the house.
    Him: Oh yeah, that's nice.
    (silence)
    Him: Welllll, how about I take you out sometime?
    You: Sure, I guess.
    Him: Okay, here's my number.
    You: Thanks.
    Him: Sooooo, I guess I'll hear from you.
    You: Yeah I guess.
    Him: Sooooo, I'll see you later.

Pretty boring. Now let me ask, are you going to call him? He's good looking, but he didn't sweep you off your feet.

Now, you're in the same grocery store and you see this guy who's a bit short, a bit overweight. He's not ugly, but he's not a model either. He approaches you pointing to the item in your hand:

Him: Wow! I thought only blondes used Sunlight dish soap!
    You: What??!?
    Him: You know, this stuff is just excellent for making bubble baths. The only thing is you come out smelling like a lemon.
    You: (Laughing) What's so bad about smelling like a lemon?
    Him: I don't like smelling like a fruit.
    You: (Laughing)
    ----a few minutes pass with conversation----
    Him: Wow, you seem like a really fun person! Why don't you give me your number, and we'll continue this conversation elsewhere?
    You: (Slightly surprised) Sure!

Now, when he calls, are you going to go out with him? Do you see the difference between the two?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    What does it say about us that we think that the way Homer treats Marge (he's awful to her...inconsiderate and uncaring) is "funny" or "entertainment"??? Why don't we think that kind of stuff is horrifying and completely not funny?

I understand guys' disgust with the way men are often portrayed on tv, etc, but don't you think it's also disgusting that these incapable, bumbling, stupid buffoons who treat women like crap, always have these beautiful, intelligent, accomplished wives who put up with being treated badly like that's just what women should expect???

No. It's simply reinforcing the stereotype that men are bumbling idiots and would be completely unable to function if not for their wives who are attractive, competent, and long-suffering to the point of sainthood. The implication is that they would be much better off were it not for the beer-swilling buffoons who hold them back. Homer and Peter don't deserve Marge and Lois, they need them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit