Are the teachings of JW—consistent?

by Fisherman 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under the radar
    under the radar

A few inconsistencies that come to mind are the two witness rule, their blood policy, and their stance against IVF and gestational surrogacy.

The Borg requires two witnesses to child sexual abuse before even reporting the accusation to secular authorities for a proper investigation, unless the legal department tells them it's required by law. On the other hand, purely circumstantial evidence, such as staying overnight under "improper" circumstances, is considered proof enough to take judicial action on the assumption that horizontal hanky-panky must have taken place.

Blood transfusions involving plasma or "whole blood" are absolutely forbidden, though almost every single component of blood and most blood fractions can be used separately. It's like saying ham sandwiches are forbidden, but you can have all the bread, ham, tomato, lettuce, and condiments you want as long as you eat them separately.

Even if one concedes that blood transfusions are prohibited "in principle," there are specific examples in the Bible where people actually ate unbled meat in an emergency and received only a virtual "slap on the wrist" as punishment. Accepting a blood transfusion is not the same as eating blood anyway. Regardless, the Bible clearly shows that saving a life justifies breaking the rules. Jesus himself used the example of violating the Sabbath in order to save an animal's life, confirming that it was acceptable to do so. Having one actually die in order to acknowledge the sanctity of life is ludicrous and contradictory. It elevates the symbol above the reality. Saving a life is more important that obeying any specific law, just as life itself is far more sacred than something that merely symbolizes it.

The Borg's blood policy is one example of taking the principle behind a Jewish dietary law and turning it into an eternal law from God that applies to modern medical procedures that are not in fact equivalent anyway. But then they go to the opposite extreme and completely ignore explicit Biblical precedent and impose their own interpretation of what constitutes adultery when it comes to IVF and surrogacy. They equate the donation of sperm or human eggs from anyone other than one's spouse with adultery. The same with a woman who bears a child not biologically related to her for another couple. This completely ignores the brother-in-law marriage laws of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). In those days, if a married man died without an heir, his brother (or other close relative) was required to impregnate the dead man's widow. Obviously, this involved actual sexual intercourse, not merely the clinical transfer of biological material from one willing person to another. The child born of this brother-in-law procedure was considered the legitimate heir of the dead man. The act was not considered adultery in any sense. In fact, there were humiliating penalties for not complying with this law. As for surrogacy, one need only consider that Abraham's wife Sarah had him impregnate Hagar (her hand maiden) so that she (Sarah) could have a son. This, too, involved actual intercourse but was not considered adultery.

This clearly shows that sperm or egg cells are not, in and of themselves, sacred. Otherwise, why were men's bodies designed to naturally and automatically dispose of excess semen while they sleep? And why were women's bodies designed to naturally and automatically dispose of unfertilized eggs during their monthly cycles? Adultery is about unfaithfulness to one's mate, usually involving deceit and disloyalty, not merely the transfer of biological material. In my opinion, IVF procedures and surrogacy constitute the greatest gift one person can give another. All parties involved have given willing, informed consent. Based on the principle and precedent of brother-in-law marriage, how can that be called adultery?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, Watchtower has been consistent. It has been consistently wrong interpreting biblical prophecy and consistently unable to demonstrate their unique doctrines are biblical.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Thanks for your view UTR. I am not trying to be a WT apologists or defending WT under this topic. Obviously WT has classified the conduct you mention in your post compared to WT interpretation of the Bible. There are many other Bible interpretations on the subjects you described. Ultimately it is a person’s conscience and personal relationship with God that can allow a person to do the things you mention in your post, but those are the beliefs and religious practices of JW and a person that doesn’t live by those standards of conduct cannot be a JW. That is why some people choose not to be JW or come to the realization that they want to leave. However, the reasons the WT gives for the beliefs seem logical to me. I don’t know how many people posting here belong to other churches and like their beliefs, but for example, you mention in vitro fertilization with donated sp$rm. I am not criticizing what people feel is morally right here, but there is a reasonable moral argument against IVF and I don’t see how wt position on it is not valid.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    ...consistent, and” jive” like the 4 gospels, logical, reasonable, plausible and just make sense and appeal to the mind...

I'm guessing you never read the Gospels?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The WT's teachings cannot be consistent as you consider all the doctrinal flip-flops.

• under the radar
    under the radar

I'm not going to enter a debate with anyone, including Fisherman, but his response illustrates one of the main reasons some people disdain organized religion of any flavor. He says that regardless of Biblical precedent to the contrary on certain issues, "those are the beliefs and religious practices of JW and a person that doesn’t live by those standards of conduct cannot be a JW."

Ah, that's the rub. The standard some endorse is that one must accept whatever the leaders of a certain group teach, whether or not those teachings conform to clear principles and precedents in the Bible. In fact, though, It simply doesn't matter if the reasons for certain beliefs seem logical to you as an individual or you feel that a "reasonable moral argument" might be made for or against something. If you accept that the Bible is the final authority, you cannot justify adopting any belief that contradicts it on the grounds that you "feel" things should be different.

For example, beliefs about IVF, pro and con, tend to be highly emotional and deeply held, but in the light of the brother-in-law marriage arrangement, I don't see how one could reasonably argue that it is morally wrong. To do so seems to be a prime example of "going beyond what is written."

That said, I fully endorse the right of anyone to believe as he or she sees fit. I only object when some decide that their view is the only correct one and they seek to impose their beliefs on others by demanding conformity and threatening ostracism to any who might dare dissent. That seems the height of self-righteous arrogance.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The new “faithful slave” doctrine doesn’t make much sense, because it says only the governing body comprise the “faithful slave”, not the anointed as a whole, as taught for many decades. If true, that means the “faithful slave” itself was wrong about its own identity for most of its existence. If the “faithful slave” didn’t even know who is the “faithful slave” then how can they trusted about anything?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

One of the many inconsistencies that is rather recent is the view on blood, abortion and as a result, vaccination.

The WTBTS makes a requirement that all members seeking a position in the org must be vaccinated, yet many Christians do not take the vaccine because it is derived from fetal stem cells (source through the abortion industry).

What is the explanation for that?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Catholicism is generally internally logical, Lutheranism, Calvinism etc....

That's what makes them "religions".

Objections are whether they represent reality or are healthful belief systems, not whether they can tell a good story.

• TD
    TD

Fisherman,

Does the Bible teach predation before the fall of man as you interpret the Bible ?

Your question (Unless I've misunderstood) was whether JW teaching is consistent. Admittedly, I've picked a low hanging piece of fruit here, but it does provide a glaring example of inconsistency.

For example:

What was the food of the animals? The inspired record states: “To every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food.” Or, as Today’s English Version of the Bible puts it: “For all the wild animals and for all the birds I have provided grass and leafy plants for food.”—Genesis 1:30. (Awake! October 8, 1982 p. 10)

"The natural “sanitation squad,” made up of insects, microorganisms and larger animals, has done other things that man would never have been able to accomplish. These scavengers work to clear the forest floor of the debris of dead branches and trees. They dispose of the carcasses of dead animals. They thus prevent many devastating forest fires and much pollution and disease." (Life Does Have A Purpose p. 94)

Obviously it's inconsistent to praise the functioning of earth's ecosystems as evidence of a wise creator in one publication and condemn it as the unplanned consequences of an original purpose gone awry in another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit