Was music better years ago than today?

by JH 66 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Cassi,

What a wonderful quote, it definately has a Jean Chretien feel about it.....lol

HS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Classical peaked w bach and mozart. The sixties saw the tremendous growth of rock and roll, driven by psychedelic drugs. It matured in the seventies, and peaked in the eighties. Some of it is heading into darkness, most of the new stuff makes money as it is churned out following standardised formulas. Rock and roll's soul is withering.

SS

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    it definately has a Jean Chretien feel about it.....lol

"Dar iss non dax reref dis ear"

Lmao Hillary

Cassi

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

I think music is still good today, but some of my favorite music is old.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Sorry, people, music isn't going down the tubes... you're just getting old.

Aw, c'mon, you know I had to say it.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Eupha - and your statement is coming from someone who is 102 years old?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Without a doubt music in general today is definitely not as good as that from the 50s, 60s and (some) 70s. This is easy to prove by just realising how many "artists (what a joke!)" produce songs that are direct copies of those from the eras above! Not only that, but some original reissued oldies go straight to Number 1.

Dansk

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

This conversation is meaningless unless we define 'better'. Otherwise it's just people waving subjective opinions at each other, which is great fun and all, but not really conclusive.

1. Is 'better' a measure of success?
    2. Is 'better' a measure of longevity?
    3. Is 'better' a measure of complexity and adherence to accepted musical structures?
    4. Is 'better' a measure of social relevance?
    5. Is 'better' a measure of emotional impact?

By these seperate definitions we could say that the best music is either;

1. The Beatles (proportionately the most succesful band of all time and one that cannot be matched proportionately by any current or future band because the growth and diversification of popular music has made it impossible for any band to assume the same level of success and importance. I won't bother with supporting that with URL's, I'm quite happy to duke it out with anyone who can show a single band so pivotal to both musical and social change and so intrinsic to the discussion of the period they were active.
    2. Something you've never heard of; http://www.webster.sk.ca/greenwich/evidence.htm
    3. Something that musicologists will fight over; Bach is a popular candidate as a composer, whilst some forms of Jazz are aoften dvanced as the most complex genres.
    4. The Beatles, again, although the band chosen mught be dependant on the bands popular at your coming of age.
    5. Now you really think it's possible to have a objective opinion about that?!

Most arguments used in these discussions are innane and inacurate; the classic one is 'modern music is repetative'. This marks the utterer as someone who knows very little about classical choral music, let alone many other forms of music where repetition is key.

SO, once we define 'better', we might get somewhere. Anyone brave enough?

• be wise
    be wise

I'd say most of the music is crap nowadays! apart from a minority of bands but I think that's the way it's always been (more so now, though). The industry knows what brings in the £ and probably never fail but people also know when they see a good genuine band, so some good bands will always make it.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Stephanus: But you only listen to one song?

You got me there, Hippi! LOL

Here it is again for those who missed it:

http://www.statusquo.co.uk/sounds/pictures.ram

But in its defence, it IS Quo's most covered song; a version comes out every few years ago. Scorpio Rising by Death in Vegas is its most recent incarnation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit