Was music better years ago than today?

by JH 66 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

So, was music better years ago, or is it better today?

• JH
    JH

I think that music was better in the 80's.

• JH
    JH

Double post.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I think that music largely went stale sometime around 1900.

Expatbrit

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

So, was music better years ago, or is it better today?

Although I tend to prefer music from "my own era", my answer to the question as asked would be "No, just different".

• Mulan
    Mulan

Some of the music today is really good. But some of it isn't music, like RAP. I absolutely hate it hate it hate it.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Seamus Heaney has recently extolled the virtues of Eminem and his lyrics, which are clever and have a passion, but I have to say I was very surprised to read this favorable critique coming from a poet whose consistency is legendary.

I also know there are many good musicians coming up the ranks, especially in the Jazz field, but I have to say that imho the quantity of popular music and musicians far outweighs the quality. I am growing sick of seeing cloned, barely menstruating teenage girls, wailing like air-raid sirens and trying to see how far they can bend their crotches forward without toppling over.

I am also weary of the copyists. The millions of fake Joni Mitchells, Laura Nyro’s, Arthur Lee’s, Morrisey’s, Joe Jackson’s, Sinfield’s, Hasting’s, Michael Jackson etc. etc. If you have been listening to music for thirty years, you do far more yawning than listening these days. God bless Modern Jazz, the classics and a few veteran songwriters who so easily dismantle the ego of the young.

Basically , I am getting old.

HS

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

HS

As far as Heaney I think that he must have meant this to be applied to some music today.

Its sound releases something naturally untamed, as if a squirrel were let loose in a church." --Seamus Heaney

lol

Hugs

Cassi

• hippikon
    hippikon

Stephanus: But you only listen to one song?

• hippikon
    hippikon

What other era has the musical durability of "The Rolling Stones" "Led Zeppelin" or "Black Sabbath"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit