Was music better years ago than today?

by JH 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

HS

Thanks.

BTW, innovators may not necesarily be there when what they had a share in starting peaks.

SS

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I don't like today's music. I think rap is really not music at all. The so called rap singers don't actually sing, they are just talking their way throught the song.

But, didn't our parents say the same thing about the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, the Doors, Bee Gee's, Disco, Punk, and New Wave?

Maybe were just getting old.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Bach is brilliant. I saw my gf sing some Palestrina (sp?) over the weekend at a coincert with the chior she's in... I like the 'Early Music', dawn of polyphony and that.

As for Keith; in the words of Bill Hicks;

"I saw Keith Richard's on TV saying "Kids, don't do drugs". THEY CAN'T DO DRUGS ANY MORE KEITH, YOU'VE DONE THEM ALL! We're gonna have to wait until you die and then smoke your ashes."

Did anyone see the documentary 'Hail, Hail Rock'n'Roll' about Chuck Berry? Keith was practsiing Jonny B. Goode with Chuck, and Chuck kept correcting him over the opening riff. The look on Richard's face was classic; no one had told him what to do for twenty years and he really didn't like it. Classic.

Of course, there are bands that write the same song over and over again. Chuck is a good example of this; many of his songs are near duplicates of his own songs, just with different lyrics. Blues is formulaic to say the least. But you can be forumlaic and fresh if you are good enough. Few are though.

• amac
    amac

Every decade has great music. Whether or not it makes it into the charts and the mainstream is a different question.

People harp on the likes of Britney and studio produced produced bands, but that has been happening ever since recorded music started to take off. The 50's and 60's had WAAAAY more "boy bands" and talentless hacks putting out records. Who cares? As long as you like the track and it makes you wiggle your butt or whatever you prefer, than it has caused the desired effect. I personally need stuff a little more stimulating than Britney or any of todays teen pop.

And those of you harping on Rap or Hip Hop. El Kabong is right, didn't your parents or grandparents say the same thing about rock'n'roll? And "Gangsta" rap is just the commercial stuff because that's what sells in this depraved world. There is tons of underground Hip Hop that is truly creative and innovative. The obvious would be acts like Jurassic 5 and The Roots, a little less obvious would be groups like Latyrx and Lifesavas.

I listen to music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and now. I listen to rock, prog, rap, hip hop, emo, modern jazz, indie, new wave, funk, punk, motown soul, electroclash, doo wop, northern soul, mod, pop, dance, house, traditional jazz, psyche, freakbeat, country, rockabilly, punkabilly and lots more. Are any better than others? That's a matter of personal opinion. They all have their merits.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

amac,

I listen to music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and now. I listen to rock, prog, rap, hip hop, emo, modern jazz, indie, new wave, funk, punk, motown soul, electroclash, doo wop, northern soul, mod, pop, dance, house, traditional jazz, psyche, freakbeat, country, rockabilly, punkabilly and lots more.

And you still get time to use the bathroom....that is quite a feat..

HS

• sandy
    sandy
    People harp on the likes of Britney and studio produced produced bands, but that has been happening ever since recorded music started to take off. The 50's and 60's had WAAAAY more "boy bands" and talentless hacks putting out records. Who cares?

Amac- You are absolutely right. The only problem I have with most pop singers/bands of today is the fact that they do not have any talent. With present technology it is too easy to find talentless people and turn them into superstars. But in your words: "Who cares?"

Old or new, there will always be great music. I really do not listen to the radio much these days because most songs being played are (IMHO) poor examples of music.

• amac
    amac

HS -

And you still get time to use the bathroom....that is quite a feat..

I have a CD player in there too. It's a tough, never ending job.

With present technology it is too easy to find talentless people and turn them into superstars.

I agree, but it has been that way since the early 50's when all a studio needed was a good set of studio musicians and they could make anyone put out a hit record. Look at Motown (which I dearly love), the funk brothers did all the work while Gordy churned out hits for teenage girl singers. It's always been about the producer when it comes to hit records and it's the same today except that nowadays they have more "producing" tools. The only difference is instead of having a group of guys who never get recognition anyway, they have electronics.

Anyhoo, look beyond the "hit" records and you can still find lots of innovation and talent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit