District Assemblies now being held at Circuit Assembly locations?

by ShirleyW 68 Replies latest jw friends

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    In regard the Richmond Coliseum, I was surprised to learn that this year, the convention was held across the street at the Convention Center. Evidently it is smaller and had uncomfortable seating.

Yea it was and i heard the same. The coliseum is being renovated, apparently.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Ah. I didn't know that. I don't get downtown much...usually I don't go past Willow Lawn.

It used to be that the convention was the only time I did, but I haven't been for almost 10 years now.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Wish i could say the same 😂😂😂😂

its only been 3 for me

• Londo111
    Londo111

2009 was the last one for me. Due to my then wife getting a marking talk and the elders sharing very private family details from the stage (and it getting spread around the rumor mill) I was too embarrassed to show my face in 2010 though mentally in.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Doubter still, if you’re preaching, you’re pretty much going to get baptized. It’s not like they’re counting UPs who don’t preach. If you don’t preach, you will no longer be a UP anyway.

I would beg to differ. Some sure will but many unbaptised publishers are pressurized kids dragged along by their parents. Or teens doing so to appease parents whilst dodging baptism.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Londo111 - "...The recent leaked Watchtower video showed they are looking for any means to cut back and save costs to stay afloat..."

I thought that the (for all intents and purposes) admissions in that video had a measure of significance, too.

A corporation that's globally downsizing its staff, reducing its overall product output, and liquidating its assets is not normally one that is experiencing "robust financial health".

• SAHS
    SAHS

Actually, it would make economic sense for them in that their own assembly halls have already been paid for (many times over!), so holding district – I mean, regional – conventions in them would not include the significant overhead in the rental of large community venues such as sports arenas. And, don’t forget, their own lands have religious tax-exempt status!

So, it seems that money just coming in rather than having to go out would be a great deal, indeed, for them.

Although, there seem to be a lot of international – I mean special – conventions taking place in the very recent years. I guess these “special” occasions are an extra incentive for donations, including foreign as well as domestic.

• Done
    Done

They have never used the Holt MI assembly hall for DC's. In the 80s to 1996 DCs were in South Bend IN, Toledo and Pontiac. After 1996 the state went to Pontiac, Toledo and Cicero. After Pontiac stopped used, it was Saginaw, Belleville, Toledo.

You forgot tiger stadium in the early 70's

Must have been the annual meeting I remember? When the new Bible was handed out at Holt

• I Faded Twice
    I Faded Twice

Where I used to live they went from a big venue with plenty of seating to a terrible one where there are NO seats . We were an hour early and people were walking out because it was full.I had never seen that happen before .

The seats were uncomfortable to say the least and families couldn't sit together. It was 2 seats here 1 seat there....Awful.

Now looking back I'm sure it was to save money.Everyone was saying greatest ever and I was like get me tf outta here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit