District Assemblies now being held at Circuit Assembly locations?

by ShirleyW 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Indeed the religion is still technically growing. When analyzing the data though, it is important to analyze trends as well as the raw figures. It helps paint a picture of what the future might hold.

The growth levels overall have been trending down for decades. Of particular interest is the slow to non-existent growth in developed countries that were once flourishing, such as Japan, and other European countries.

• Doubter
    Doubter

WT takes the growth wherever it comes from. They send people to under and undeveloped places.

WT is really not that concerned about growth as far as pure numbers — as you know, there are much more than 8.5 million baptized jws. I put the number at about 18 million if you count “inactive” non-df/da members.

But they don’t count them as members.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Indeed. Be that as it may, growth trends have been trending down. Unless the trend reverses, the org is set for eventual stagnation and perhaps contraction. It is already happening in a few countries.

• Doubter
    Doubter

I mean, really, it has been “tending down” for a long time depending on who you ask. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’ve been around for a long time. In 97 when the internet went mainstream, I remember specific predictions of a near future collapse. In 2002, after the child abuse issue hit mainstream media, it was only a “matter of when” it would collapse.

In 2012, the Conti lawsuit was the death-kneel.

External forces have never brought down a religion the size of jws. Apathy will. I don’t see apathy at all.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy
    BTW, the 8.5 million figure refers not only to baptized JWs, but to unbaptized publishers as well.
  • Sanchy
    Sanchy

Only time will tell. I agree that it is foolish to expect that one event would single handedly bring down the religion.

Who's to say though, that those events you mentioned, collectively, haven't had an effect in maintaining the very downward trend we've been talking about?

Also, your perception of level of apathy, or lack thereof, can be contrasted by many that would beg to differ.

• Doubter
    Doubter

??

Really? Don’t they count only the number baptized every year? I don’t think UP’s are included.

• Doubter
    Doubter

Of course I know for a fact you have “PIMO” JWs. But compare that to the number of jws who care.

I believe you’d be disappointed.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

The 8+ million figure refers to active publishers, including non-baptised ones.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/how-many-jw-members/

• Doubter
    Doubter

Thanks man. I did forget about that.

Still, if you’re preaching, you’re pretty much going to get baptized. It’s not like they’re counting UPs who don’t preach. If you don’t preach, you will no longer be a UP anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit