The really cool feeling of community within JWs

by Phaedra 79 Replies latest jw experiences

• DJS
    DJS

Anathasius,

The entire world is giving you examples on a routine basis, from the United Nations to PhDs who study such things to pollsters who survey such things. See above.

• talesin
    talesin
    "Argument from intimidation", which, based on John T. Reed's Debating Strategies, is "its appeal to moral self-doubt and its reliance on the fear, guilt or ignorance of the victim. It is used in the form of an ultimatum demanding that the victim renounce a given idea without discussion, under threat of being considered morally unworthy."

DJS Great quote. I've seen this tactic used a lot in recent debates. Saved, and the book is not at my library, but I'll find online. Thanks.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Whoever is saying

The People's Republic of North Korea is an atheistic state,

Do a little research on Juche because I think you are completely wrong. It is basically a religion. It pulls many doctrine and themes from Christianty. And whIle the figure of the Supreme leader was human he is essentially worshipped. The supreme leaders have been mystified and deified.

You are giving them way too much credit as atheists I'm afraid (just because they don't worship the desert god). North Korea has put religion philosophy and government ideas into a blender and turned it on. I strongly suggest doing some research on their ideas then retracting what you said.

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, my! I really should read the whole thread. smh

North Korea is a communist monarchy with a god-king. Google is your friend!

(Afterthought: "personality cult" or "cult of personality" ; think of the Moonies, it is a cult.)

Watch Lisa Ling's documentary for National Geographic, on youtube. Here's the link to part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs

from Rational wiki, where it's rightly called 'bizarre':

North Korea, also known as the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" (DPRK; Korean chosŏn'gŭl: 조선민주주의인민공화국; Korean hancha: 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國; Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk), is a small, autarkic remnant of the Cold War ruled by third generation "leader" Kim Jong Un. The former ruler and father of the current one, Kim Jong Il,[2] lorded over the country as a God-king, and had the world's largest personality cult. He inherited power from his daddy, Kim Il Sung,[3] who founded the nation with the assistance from theSoviet Union. However, since the present leader is the third-gen Kim, that would make North Korea the world's only Communist dynasty (This is especially bizarre since monarchism was one of the things Marx railed against).
    North Korea is perhaps the most undemocratic and totalitarian state in existence, with possibly the world's worst human rights record, and one of the only countries in the world in which Internet access is hugely censored and generally only available in the capital city.[4]. The regime is so abhorrently totalitarian that even most communists despise it. Its only outside supporters are either brainwashed tankies, or are just insane.
  • Athanasius
    Athanasius

Sorry, DJS, but your links still don't answer my question. I wasn't asking about what people believe or not believe and how they treat others. Or whether believers are better people than non-believers.

My question was about the secular-atheist government that you referred to. The USA is secular, but not atheist. Most western European governments are secular but hardly atheist, as some still have state churches.

So which country today has a government that you consider secular-atheist with happy people?

• DJS
    DJS

A,

I've never referred to any particular nation. I've stated the facts, that the more secular and atheistic a state, region or nation, the More Likely they are to be functional.

I do not understand your continued probing of something I've never stated.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

My question was regarding governmental structure, and the way you phrased your post, I thought that you were referring to a particular government or nation. This aroused my curiosity as I'm interested in comparative government. It appears that you meant people and their belief or non-belief.

My mistake.

• done4good
    done4good

Frank Ward - but I think learning the teachings of Jesus is better than having no moral teaching.

Here you go again with incredibly ignorant statements. Stop doing this to yourself.

What makes you assume that atheists have "no moral teaching"?

Please do some reading and educate yourself. Start with the bible. If read with even the slightest open mind, it becomes clear this book should never be used as a moral guide. That should give you your first hint where morals do not come from.

d4g

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I remember my fellow elders and their wives getting hammered on wine following the Memorial every year.

Yeah......I don't miss that. Or them. At all.

• kaik
    kaik

The feeling of closeness, camaraderie, friendship with like minded people you could trust.

I never had experienced it. While we had some close friends, it was always a case of individuals, not of the WT society. I have seen WT dying and passing away due suicide, accidents, and old age, and many behaved like these people have not existed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit