Memorial Bread-Break a piece off or eat whole?

by TakeOffTheCrown 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Bobcat wrote :

France seems to indicate that there is some symbolic significance to the breaking of the bread. He doesn't go into any more detail. And, of course, the bread had to be 'broken' for all to partake of it. But it is interesting that Jesus does the 'breaking' rather than let each disciple break off a piece.

There is very little detail in the gospel accounts concerning this. It doesn't say he broke it into 12 (or 11) pieces. It only says he broke it.

I know that at the KH there is no significance associated with 'breaking the bread.' Often, if not always, the bread is already broken into a number of pieces before the meeting starts.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/245931/breaking-bread-lords-evening-meal

Bobcat, thanks for the link. This is informative.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown
    • wolfman854 years ago

I don't know if "breaking bread" has a special meaning, but Luke 24:30-32 makes me think about breaking the bread.

(NIV) 30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

From the quote: "When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit