Breaking Bread at the Lord's Evening Meal

by Bobcat 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Just a question to elicit comments on a thought I had never considered before.

R.T. France, writing in the NICNT commentary on Matthew says (about the last supper), "In breaking the bread he [Jesus] symbolizes his own death . . ."

France seems to indicate that there is some symbolic significance to the breaking of the bread. He doesn't go into any more detail. And, of course, the bread had to be 'broken' for all to partake of it. But it is interesting that Jesus does the 'breaking' rather than let each disciple break off a piece.

There is very little detail in the gospel accounts concerning this. It doesn't say he broke it into 12 (or 11) pieces. It only says he broke it.

I know that at the KH there is no significance associated with 'breaking the bread.' Often, if not always, the bread is already broken into a number of pieces before the meeting starts.

I was just polling for thoughts to see how others viewed this aspect of the Lord's Evening Meal or if any had any more info about this.

Thanks for any comments.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Usually during communion at church they will say something like, "this is my body broken in your behalf..."

It makes more sense than the Watchtower insisting it has no meaning.

• QC
    QC

BobCat (Charlotte related, as in NBA?),

Jesus does the 'breaking' rather than let each disciple break off a piece.

Nice detail.

hmmmm, Jesus had a few months to get his disciples dialed in. Everything he did was to make a lasting impression. Plus, he is a naturally warm servant. Totally extending himself with vivid illustrations and modeling.

I'm wondering this year what would play best, someone break the bread for others or each person break their own? One person breaking bread for mature folks may be a bit presumptuous. Serving newer others as a teaching moment would work too. So it depends.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Also, the "breaking" is specific to unleavened bread. Leavened bread has the form of a loaf. But unleavend bread is more like a cracker, so it "breaks." I think we all visualize Christ pulling apart a loaf of bread rather than breaking a large cracker.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Everyone, thanks for your comments so far.

Londo:

Your quotation reminded me of my chuch upbringing many years ago. They said those words during communion if I remember.

QC:

No, I'm a few hours from Charlotte, but do have friends there that we visit from time to time.

Lars:

You're right about the somewhat brittle nature of unleavened bread.

Here is what further research has turned up so far:

I did find another commentary that mentioned this same idea of "breaking" the bread being parallel with Jesus' body being "broken" in death. But there was no elaboration on it in regards to it being part of the symbolism of the Lord's Evening Meal (LEM for short)

All of the accounts of the miraculous feedings include Jesus "breaking" the bread after saying a blessing. Presumably, these occasions were not limited to unleavened bread. So, "breaking" of the bread, at least on those occasions need not have been a literal necessity as it would have for unleavened bread. But it is hard to imagine Jesus personally "breaking" each and every peice for thousands.

In the ISBE (Vol I p.543), under the subject of bread, and the sub-section "Eating Bread," it says in part:

When bread was eaten by a group, the head of the household or the master of the community broke it [the bread] or tore it and gave a portion to everybody present. If meat, fish, or other food was offered together with the bread, it was often handed out from the common cooking pot with the help of a piece of bread.

This opens the possibility that the breaking and handing out of the bread at the LEM was simply Jewish custom with Jesus being the recognized "head" of the small Passover group there.

I'm still in the process of checking other sources. (I'm usually running several research projects at any given time - when time is available.) If I find anything new I will post it here.

Take Care

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I attend communion, the bread is held aloft and the priest breaks it. An organ plays some stirring music. It appears to be the high point of communion for me. Most churches use actual bread now and not communion wafers. It is not so dramatic when wafers are used.

I don't know all the meanings of the Eucharist. Perhaps the bread is already broken to emphasis the point that Jesus did not die for humans. He only died for 144,000, which doesn't sound too Jesus like to me.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

I don't know if "breaking bread" has a special meaning, but Luke 24:30-32 makes me think about breaking the bread.

(NIV) 30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Wolfman,

Excellent point. He is present in the Eucharist in some manner. The postResurrection appearance is important. We know Jesus through the breaking of bread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit