Memorial Bread-Break a piece off or eat whole?

by TakeOffTheCrown 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown
    Question for some of the old-timers in the Congregation. Did those who professed to be of the anointed and partook of the bread, did they break off a piece of the bread and then eat it; or did they take the whole piece and eat it?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I was sitting right besides one of the anointed, a personal friend of mine, and I saw him break of only one piece before passing the plate to me. He also took one sip of the wine . This was in the 1970s.

If everyone in the congregation were of the anointed this would change how it's celebrated. For example, if you were to eat the whole bread before passing it it would make the meeting much longer in duration plus the plates would have to be refilled.

So I wonder what arrangements they had in the days of Russell and Rutherford? Did they sit at the table and have a proper meal out of the emblems? This would approximate the original Last Supper.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with village Idiot; that is how I always saw it done.

As for the "emblems feast," no that sounds too far out.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Village Idiot - thanks for responding. Your friend broke one of the pieces and then partook of it.

Some who partake will pick up one piece of the bread-pinch off a piece of it and then eat it (they do not take the whole piece). Others, will take a whole piece, put it in their mouths and eat it.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Nathan Natas - please, describe how you saw it being done. Was the bread always broken into pieces before being served?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

TakeOffTheCrown,

To Clarify, there are several pieces of bread on the plate. Some who partake will pick up one piece of the bread-pinch off a piece of it and then eat it (they do not take the whole piece). Others, will take a whole piece, put it in their mouths and eat it.

Yes.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Thanks Village Idiot.

• blondie
    blondie

Break bread is the phrase

Hard bread, not made in small pieces, broken

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

Huh? Blondie, the bread is already broken into pieces when served.

I'm interested. You have probably seen those who profess to be of the anointed partake. Can you please describe what you have seen?

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

My title may have confused some of you. No one eats the whole loaf. The bread is normally broken into small pieces before being served. Some will take just a pinch of one of the pieces and eat it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit