COVID-19 another example showing local publishers/congregations are on their own?

by JWTom 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JWTom
    JWTom

My area is a large city spread across two U.S. states and multiple different cities and counties. The area of 2.5 million is covered by parts of 4-5 different circuits. Many of those attending meetings are at-risk individuals with health problems or age related risk. Some congregations are 70% at risk individuals.

As a born-in JW this pandemic appears to be further evidence that more and more of the organization functions are simply being dumped on the appointed men and RAF. I believe many of the appointed men realize this but are powerless to do anything about it due to being trapped. The decision making being passed to each local congregation has created a patchwork of random approaches to meetings and service. There is no clear direction. There is every possible combination of scenarios from no meetings, service, etc. to full meetings, full service (no restrictions).

It seems the org. could provide some clear direction on a country level and say: We cannot meet until it is safe - no more in-person meetings until the authorities deem the threat to have passed. And to me this would give some remaining members confidence that there was a plan. The current approach of making all of the decisions based on what the local body thinks leads to a crazy disconnected and sometimes insanely ridiculous way of doing things. This pandemic makes me so appreciative that I am no longer an elder.

PS: I realize there are many other examples of the org. abandoning the local congregations and leaving it up to the local elders to make important decisions or to do all of the work of keeping things running smoothly. Feel free to post your favorite one! This pandemic just seems to be a glaring example that the GB and Bethel have little to offer beyond parroting what the government has already said - and then more or less saying - GOOD LUCK!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    This pandemic just seems to be a glaring example that the GB and Bethel have little to offer beyond parroting what the government has already said - and then more or less saying - GOOD LUCK!

JW's seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't in to so many on this site. If they give direction, their direction is mocked or they are accused of being pushy or controlling. If they leave things up to the local elders to comply with what the local authorities are advising or requiring, they are seen as neglectful.

What should they be doing in your opinion and why do you care one way or another if the meetings are held or not ?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

JW's seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't in to so many on this site

Pete ...

I agree. It seems to be like a political thing at times. If you didn't like Obama, no matter what he did was bad. Now, if you don't like the Orange Man, no matter what he does is bad.

I guess it just goes with the territory.

Rub a Dub

• Dagney
    Dagney

The WT is a corporation first and foremost. It has put the corporations existence first for decades, as that is what you do as corporation...make decisions to keep in operation. Liability is the concern for all corporations at this time.

• waton
    waton
    What should they be doing in your opinion-?

PZ> for one, cancel all those ridiculous house to house demonstrations, how to recruit people house to house. simpleton bible arguments played over and over and over, now illegal to use, and wtBtS inc anyway. If this work org had been spirit directed, like in Noah's day, of bible story fame, stuff would have been fore sight in evidence.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    What should they be doing in your opinion?

WT has acres of glittering studio space and equipment. They should set up meetings in appropriate languages using bethelites for congregation elders to stream. This should not be left to local people with dubious skills and camera phones.

The local elders should be providing pastoral care and practical assistance whilst keeping themselves safe.

I don't care whether they get meetings or not. I do care that the congregations are putting running around trying to be amateur tv directors embarrassing. Members of the congregations have spent often many decades confident in a cosy divine embrace in times of adversity. What do they actually get?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    The local elders should be providing pastoral care and practical assistance whilst keeping themselves safe.

Who says they aren't doing this and what evidence is there? I can see having a specific personal beef with the JW's or not agreeing with their doctrine but it seems like people just make assumptions about anything they want to and run with them without providing proof or examples of what they are claiming.

What do they actually get?

How do you know they are lacking or aren't getting what they need? Show me proof.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I mean, if they were actually jehoopla's special people(TM) who had to all follow the same exact group of leaders as they've droned on about for years, then yes, they would have that direction as you said. So in that sense, it is more evidence they're full of caca.

In practical terms, there should be some broad directives from hq, including one that says, "Follow your local authorities' recommendations. Safety first." And then leave it to the local bros to execute that per what the actual experts and authorities say to do, because there are different instructions based on location.

• Listener
    Listener

I imagine the Elders have been very busy taking calls from anxious followers who are seeking direction on what to buy and what to do. On top of that, they are having to make serious decisions.

The message from the GB seems to be that they still want meetings run unless the Government or local authorities suggest otherwise. Is this the wisest choice because it means waiting on the Government to make the announcement? Surely they could show direction by erring on the side of caution.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There has been no pastoral care. We do not need a pretend presentation, nor directions on how to shake our weewee when we go.

Is there a way to get groceries if we are old? Can I give a ride to someone? How will I pay the rent (all my money went to the GB)

Fat chan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit