COVID-19 another example showing local publishers/congregations are on their own?

by JWTom 20 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Seriously? People would call the elders to ask what to buy? That's just so sad, but does sound plausible.

Instead of coddling people with instructions on how to run their lives, they should provide comfort and reassurance, connect them to each other to ensure their needs are met, help people financially, etc.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Post script

The locals are decent, if sometimes a bit odd and definitely IQ chalkenged .

Their jobs just disappeared too. They can no more afford to get sick than the rest of us.

• Simon
    Simon
    Seriously? People would call the elders to ask what to buy? That's just so sad, but does sound plausible.

I can see it - people have been indoctrinated to look up to people are being "wise" and spirit-backed, they'll see them as an authority to tell them what to do.

Personally, and I mean no offence to any window-cleaners, but I wouldn't ask a window-cleaner for advice about how to prepare for a global pandemic.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

REBEL8:

I was always baffled at Witnesses who needed to be told what shoe to put on first.

I wasn’t raised a JW so I could never relate to this and it was one of the things that made me despise people there as such fools.

Elders help people financially??🤣..Only maybe old Sister Faithful who invited them to dinner frequently.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There should soon be a special fund with unused moneys going to the WWW.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The answers to all needs temporal and spiritual.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What they should have been doing is encouraging the jokehovians to, as individuals, stock up on household supplies and food for as long as they can afford to way back in January or early February. Not for Armageddon, for the coming shortages that are resulting from big companies restricting production and distribution of essential goods in the name of coronavirus. (And for the communism that will follow.) Also, they should have made it clear that any hounder or group of hounders that imposes communal supplies would be disfellowshipped on the spot for communism.

But no, they carried on as usual. They kept on going to boasting sessions. They kept on going in field circus, wasting precious time and resources that could have been used to stock up. I am now hearing that it could well be 6 months to a year before it returns to anything that resembles normal, and that most likely it will end in total communism through the whole One World Totalitarian Government. RFID chips required through the whole globe. (The brain chip, not just the hand chip, at that.) No Internet, or at best a limited North Korea style internet. We will all be slaves, just like the greys. And they are encouraged to work relentlessly for that end instead of at least attempting to prepare?

As for canceling field circus, that is just token. It is an unwritten rule that anyone that slacks off, missing boasting sessions at the Coronavirus Hall or opportunities to spread coronavirus through the whole territory, is "spiritually weak" and will be dealt with accordingly. This will lead to people going out spreading coronavirus through the whole territory, and to whole congregations, instead of spending these last few days and weeks trying to at least get a couple of extra jars of peanut butter or bags of rice or other grains. And, please donate your last funds to further this idiocy. If they can steal ice cream money from kids, they can for sure steal peanut butter money from families.

If anything, instead of closing entertainment venues, they should just close all the churches and mosques (and synagogues, while they are at it) for this. Close down the bible and quran shops, while they are at it. Instead of bibles and qurans, we need food and cleaning supplies. I, for one, would rather have a can of Lysol or package of facial tissue or toilet paper than a whole truck load of bibles.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Who says they aren't doing this and what evidence is there? I can see having a specific personal beef with the JW's or not agreeing with their doctrine but it seems like people just make assumptions about anything they want to and run with them without providing proof or examples of what they are claiming.

I do! I live in a city of 600,000, I have family who are in the centre of this. I am not making assumptions, I am simply observing what is going on. I know that the elder’s meetings have simply been about how to provide on line meetings twice a week. This is nothing to do with doctrine but simply skewed priorities.

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

Here’s what I know. My eighty year old elder, father had a meeting of eleven guests at his home last night so 13 in total including my mom. My 70 year old mom went out in field service this morning. My two cents is that this organization that has been lying to and dividing my family for 50+ years, Is still business as usual. They are using zoom for meetings and no doubt will plead for donations even though my dad and others like him are footing the bill and exposing themselves to possible life threatening illness. This organization sickens me.

• JWTom
    JWTom

Slidin Fast

My original post was similar to your thoughts. I am simply observing what is happening locally. While the org. could take the cautious approach and shut things down....instead things are left up to each congregation which results in chaos since many of the local elders (many who are good people in a general sense) don't really know what to do. They simply revert to the mantra....must have meetings, must have meetings, must have meetings, etc.

Since so many have lost their jobs or have reduced income if you have your own business - I was wondering how long it would be before donations are brought up again. From the letters posted it seems like it only took about 2-3 weeks for that to be brought up after things tanked here in the U.S. Over the last 10 or more years my PIMI wife and I have talked at length about how "wrong" it seems to have orphans and widows donating money so that others can have health care, housing, spending money and in some cases international travel. As is said here many times.....follow the money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit