Independent Catalonia

by mikeflood 43 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    An independent Catalunya would never be admitted to the EU - who would they trade with, Cuba?

It’s a disgrace that Spain has not been expelled or at least censured by the EU for their actions: assaulting voters, confiscating ballots, arresting political opponents. People should think very carefully before giving this a free pass just because they think that the people seeking sovereignty are “idiots”. Who knows when the state may think you’re an “idiot” for seeking some democratic goal.

• sir82
    sir82

I didn't say the Madrid government weren't idiots. Their actions on October 1 were grossly disproportionate.

The whole situation is a giant steaming ball of idiocy.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

They should have allowed the Catalonian people a democratic vote on their future. What happened to the right to self determination?

If Spain remains a unitary state now, it comes on the back of violence, confiscated ballots, intimidation, political arrests. That is surely unsustainable. If it is maintained by force then it's a darker Europe and a darker world.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@slimboy: The EU is run by globalists. They want to smash and punish Catalonia far more than any spanish politician.

The last thing globalists want is that ppl realize that they can decide for themselves in a democracy (see Brexit...).

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    They should have allowed the Catalonian people a democratic vote on their future. What happened to the right to self determination?

Well, us colonials had a civil war back in the 1800's about something like that. I think "the South" wanted independence too. Nowadays, maybe the US should reconsider and allow any state that wishes to break away, to put it to a vote? Or should the US government bring in the National Guard if such was to happen?

They are not Catalonian people, they are Spaniards.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How are they not Catalonian? Isn't that for them to decide?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    How are they not Catalonian? Isn't that for them to decode.

Fact is they are Spaniards. If they want to try break away from Spain calling themselves Catalanes, it's up to them but they better have Spanish legislation to ground on providing for that.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

@Fisherman: In a democracy, what matters is the will of the people and not legislation.

The idea ppls democratic right of self-determination should be secondary to laws made by ppl living far away is what gave us EU and all the other globalist crap. Pure fascism IMO.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Fisherman: In a democracy, what matters is the will of the people and not legislation.

You are free to believe that but in the US, they've got the National Guard and UN troops ready to be unleashed on the American people. --That's what I've heard.

... But getting back to the Spaniards of Catalonia wanting independence, it is up to Spain to give them that independence if Catalonians don't have Spanish legislation to back them. On what grounds should Spain give Catalonians independence since Catalonian ground belongs to Spain?

• cofty
    cofty

Spain ought to grant a free and fair referendum with a sensible time frame to allow for a debate.

In such a huge decision I would be in favour of a majority of 60% of votes to trigger a positive outcome - yes I do think that should have applied to Brexit as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit