Dress and Grooming: Sisters In Stilettos?

by Deltron3030 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deltron3030
    Deltron3030

I attended several meetings, and I was shocked at how some of the JW's dress. Is it just my area (Tennessee), or is it a widespread problem?

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I remember those even 25 years ago, stilettos. It is like trying to walk with stilts and pushes your feet forward into the toes, creating ingrown toenails. Just for looks, not for walking.

I remember a PO was making rules for the sisters, no colored nail polish, no long nails (claws he called them), no foundation (use the skin God gave you), lipgloss but no lipstick, no dyeing hair, hose at all times even in hot weather and especially with sandals, etc.

The the new CO came to visit for the first time and his wife, wore 3 inch heels, no pantyhose with sandals, red nail polish on her "claws," foundation that made he glow orange (supposed to be a tan), dark purple lipstick, and form-fitting skirts/dresses.

The sisters saw that and told the PO where he could put his rules. It changed a lot in that circuit.

Deltron3030, yes it does vary from big city to small farm town, in my area, jws from Chicago and Milwaukee had a certain style that was forbidden in the smaller city I was from. People in general tend to dress based on what others in their community tend to wear in the middle spectrum. The elders supposedly allowed by WTS headquarters to make rules for their own congregation to keep "orderly" in the congregation.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

It would surprise me to see anything too tantalizing in Tennessee JWs. It has historically been a pretty conservative State in the world of the JWs. I started dating a gal just outside of Nashville, (circa 1993) and the idiotic rules in the Cong were crazy. Dating couples cannot sit beside each other (alone) during a meeting in the Kingdom Hall (I sat beside her regardless), chaperones were mandatory. Yeh that didn't happen. I told the elders they were overstepping. Given I was still a Bethelite and Bethel elder at the time, they had a hard time arguing with me or trying to enforce their silly local rules.I can't tell you how many times I said to elders, show me the Scriptural basis or Wt article endorsing your rule.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

i remember back in the 80's this crazy cult came out with sisters shouldn't wear red shoes, Remember that line in David Bowie's Let's Dance, "put on your red shoes and let's dance the blues", around that time when the song came out I guess it gave one of the 7 Fairy Godmothers a hard-on just to here that or something. I remember a brother gave a talk and definitely mentioned the ol' not for Christian servants of Jehovah regarding red shoes - SMH

• Deltron3030
    Deltron3030

@blondie

I heard they crush toes over time. I saw a picture of Michelle Obama's feet, and they were trashed from wearing high heels for decades.

Maybe I'm old-school, but I'm not used to God fearing women wearing fishnet stockings and stilettos with skin tight micro-minnie skirts. I expected better from JW's with their strict rules, but nope, it's the same old bullshit I saw at other churches. At my age I might be out of the loop, and dressing that way might be normal...

@Uzzah

You'd be surprised at how they dress in Memphis. I haven't been anywhere else, that's why I was wondering if it was organizational. You went to the Bethel place in NY? I have a ton of questions about that. Do the higher ups in JW get paid? I've been wondering about that

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

Maybe I'm old-school, but I'm not used to God fearing women wearing fishnet stockings and stilettos with skin tight micro-minnie skirts.

Me either. Could you maybe take some pictures of this and either post them on here or message them to me? I need to closely examine what's going on.

• Deltron3030
    Deltron3030

I wasn't sure if that was being too creeper, but I'll figure something out and message you.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

I'll figure something out and message you.

Yeah just be real inconspicuous about it. Get a few of them together and say, "Group photo everybody!" Also get phone numbers, Instagram handles, and champagne preferences.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DELTRON:

Unfortunately, stiletto heels made a comeback so this is why some JWs wear them.

BLONDIE:

With regard to the hypocritical CO and his overpainted wife - I’m glad the PO was told shove his opinion!.. As far as makeup went, I wore subtle colors and a French type manicure. My nails weren’t overly long. Now, I’m glad the style is shorter after seeing older ladies with long nails. Very unflattering.

From what I remember, long as JW women weren’t too heavy with blue eyeshadow, red nails, tight or low cut tops they usually avoided criticism.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

At my age I might be out of the loop,

Deltron ...

That is a given.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit