Russell's Pyramidology Originated In Edinburgh Scotland

by cofty 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty lashed out at Vienne for pointing this out - ILTATT2

What a ridiculous characterisation of my actual comment.

Go back and read it again. I replied with some sarcasm because he/she dismissed the OP with the aloof remark "None of this is news". I did not respond to the information about the tombstone/memorial until later.

Anybody can read my actual response here and decide if I "lashed out".

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

From the Golden Age magazine September, 1921:

• cofty
    cofty

"Lo! millions now living have yet to learn that a prophet of the Lord has been among them."

Some prophet!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Very glad for this op as I 'm so sick of people who insist on perpetuating the idea that the pyamid monument near Russell's gravestone has nothing to do with WT or Russell - ha piffell!

• vienne
    vienne

Well ... I didn't mean to offend Crofty and I'm not upset at what he said. But thanks for defending me. All I meant is that this is widely known, not that everyone should know it. It is interesting and important. As Mr. Schulz and I observe in Separate Identity, pyramidology has no rational or factual basis, even if widely believed in the Russell era.

Sparrow, I don't know of anyone who denies the pyramid monument is connected to Russell. Many will tell you it's not his tomb or head stone, and it isn't. I think the usual objection is to the claim that it is Masonic. It isn't.

I think the significance of the pyramid monument is often missed. For Russellites it was a symbol of divine revelation to mankind, a proof of divine favor. Some Russellites still see the pyramid that way. This is irrational. And unscriptural too. But like many questionable fads, a host of religious people believed the same thing at one time. Like phrenology, it was once viewed as 'science,' but other than by a few essentially irrational people, it is now seen as quackery.

• vienne
    vienne

Crofty? He/she ... It's she. Its Rachael de Vienne, PhD to be exact. And ... again ... you didn't offend me at all. And I didn't mean to offend you.

A thread where my writing partner and I are discussed [for the eternally curious] https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5116004591992832/who-b-w-schulz-anyone-know

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Rachael. Thank you for your detailed information. I assure you I was not offended but perhaps I misread your initial comment as dismissive.

Best wishes, Bill.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

"Lo! millions now living have yet to learn that a prophet of the Lord has been among them."

Yes a false prophet.

It would fair to say that people who lived during the late 1800's were a bit more naive, ignorant and easily to persuade toward ideas or suggestions, particularly when those thoughts and ideas were originally sourced from out of the bible .

• compound complex
    compound complex

AT THE GRAVE

[. . .] One last lingering look upon the scene recalled the peaceful manner of our Pastor's "passing beyond the vail (sic)." Brother Rutherford's words came to mind: [. . .]

http://www.encyclopedia.com/humanities/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/beyond-veil

Beyond the veil in [is] the unknown state of being after death; the phrase is originally a figurative reference to the veil which in the Jewish Temple separated the main body of the Temple from the tabernacle, and derives particularly from Tyndale's translation of the Bible.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Vidiot:

So, "pyramidology" originated in Scotland?

Where there aren't even any pyramids???

Please Google the following:

The Story of Princess Scota – Princess Meritaten

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit