Who is B.W. Schulz? Anyone know?

by ILoveTTATT2 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I am writing an article on whether C.T. Russell was a Mason. I am of the opinion that he was not, given the evidence.

I just bought B.W. Schulz's book, A Separate Identity: Organizational Identity Among Readers of Zion’s Watch Tower: 1870-1887, I can't wait to get my hands on it, it seems like it's going to be quite a dense read.

The thing is, I have no idea who B.W. Schulz is. I don't know if the author is a man or a woman, if he/she is a JW, a Bible Student, an exJW, or what. (I am going to refer to the author as a "he").

Certainly his website doesn't give me too much confidence that he's not biased. It's a blog called truthhistory...

From the reviews, however, it seems to be a "neutral" book. We'll have to see.

Does anyone know about the author?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Welcome to the club. I think that B. W. Schulz was a friend of Richard Rawe's, but since Richard's death it has been difficult to reach him for comments.

It certainly seems that B. W. Schulz is interested in being an unknown, and I can understand that. no one wants to become "Exhibit A" in the museum of how much the WTB&TS can mess with individuals. The Watchtower has financial resources far greater than most of us.

My take on it is that B. W. Schulz is a pretty fair chronicaller/historian and offers material not found elsewhere.

"Timothy White" was another reclusive historian. I was able to "crack the code" on Tim. Perhaps you'll be able to do the same with B.W.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

If anyone here will have an idea, It would be Orphan Crow.

Birdie, you out there?

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

https://sites.google.com/site/jwchronology/resources-1/barbour-blog

About the Authors
    Bruce W. Schulz teaches writing, history, and literature. He is the lead author and general editor of this series.
    Rachael de Vienne raises children and goats. She teaches literature and history to gifted and talented students.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Thank you, Wifibandit! That means now that I know the author is a "he", his name is Bruce.
    Now to find out if he is/was a JW or what relationship he has had with the Watchtower.

Thanks!

• blondie
    blondie

You could contact Barbara Anderson, she handled Richard Rawe's estate regarding his WTS and related publications. She and her husband also had a personal friendship with him for many years.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

A thread from 3 years ago that discusses the book:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/274505/new-book-intro-essay

A blog written by author(s):

http://truthhistory.blogspot.ca/2014/02/final-draft-title-page-copyright-page.html

About the Authors

Bruce W. Schulz teaches writing, history, and literature. He is the lead author and general editor of this series.

Rachael de Vienne raises children and goats. She teaches literature and history to gifted and talented students.
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Bandit and Birdie!!!

Sylvia

• Earnest
    Earnest

Bruce Schulz is a JW but I would agree with NN that he is an historian, and quite an objective one at that. He has amassed a huge amount of material and takes pains in making sure it is accurate.

The poster, Old Goat, has promoted his blog and publications and is probably the best source for any information about him, if he is willing to share.

• snowbird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit