by jdash 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jdash
    jdash

When did you guys start to doubt your faith in God?'

What made you doubt your faith in God?

Thanks !

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

At 7 when my Catholic mother became a JW and ruined a childhood that was going well.

Reading Bart Ehrman’s books.

Reading Cofty’s posts.

Atheist

I dropped the agnostic because I used to think I can’t know god doesn’t exist.

• cofty
    cofty
    What type of atheist are you?

What types are there? - Not sarcasm by the way, serious question.

What made you doubt your faith in God?

Is there anything you can think of that can't be believed to be true on the basis of faith?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

You can’t be serious.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I got up the nerve to google "Jehovah's Witnesses" and was enlightened as I followed all links in all directions.

As the lies about "the truth" came out, I assumed that "Christendom" would prove to be right and God existed.

After assuring myself that Watchtower was a dangerous mind-control cult, I wanted to know about the book they used to get their doctrine- the Bible. So my research expanded to history of and origins of the Bible and various Jesus theories. One fact stood out to me that made me look more- no group of Jews or anybody else ever actually lived under "the law" found in the Bible. True fact. (But I am telling you- not proving to you. I truly believe all people need to go on their own spiritual journey.)

I started including science in my study. The impossibility of the worldwide flood was fascinating. and THE BIBLE UNEARTHED (hxxps://www.amazon.com/Bible-Unearthed-Archaeologys-Vision-Ancient/dp/0684869136) was huge in helping me.

I took a couple of turns here and there. I added eastern thought to my studies and loved the philosophies. But I saw how the myths were similar. I really enjoyed videos on secrets of the Bible and books by atheists.

One huge factor for me was the philosophy found in THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV (hxxps://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Karamazov-Fyodor-Dostoevsky/dp/0374528373)
    The price God has us pay is too high. Looking at that along with the Haiti earthquake and the Indonesian Tsunami that took roughly 100,000 children away from their parents, I was confirmed as an atheist.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

An in-depth study of the Bible...especially Revelation. Jesus will kill all who are unworthy, yet the Bible is written in such a way that no absolute truth can be determined, yet alone followed.

DD

• jdash
    jdash

@cofty - http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487 this maybe? I'm 17 and still trying to figure my way out of the "truth", so my fault

@2+2=5 - well actually, I am serious.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Huh, I guess I’m Gnostic Atheist, (Partially) Closeted Atheist, Indifferent Atheist, etc.

Nah. Just keep it simple.

• cofty
    cofty

Wow, Jdash that 17 types of atheism is insane. Somebody is overthinking it.

If you are unimpressed by the claims of theism — an omnipotent deity who cares who you sleep with — then you are an atheist.

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

When my brother died leaving a 5 and 3 year old fatherless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit