Belief in God

by jdash 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Even when I was a Zealous JW, I was really wondering about the talking snake story.

The Bible mentions clearly and Unambiguously that the serpent was involved, which the WT interprets as Satan. This was bothering me always and I even wrote a letter to the WT to clarify this. They made the same stupid Justification that Satan talked to Eve using the snake as a Ventriloquist

Next, one WT study article came about the Elisha being ridiculed and then the kids were all torn by bears. Couldn’t stand the WT conductor justify this.

Next day I googled this Elisha Bear story and ALAS! A whole ton of ridicule and criticism about this Elisha story on the internet. And then the floodgates of the Bible absurdities were opened. Rest is history as for any thinking person.

Nothing makes you more of an Atheist than the Holy Bible.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    One of the main factors was you're not born knowing that God exists, someone tells you that he exists. How do they know? They read it in a book. How did the writers of the book know? They say that God told them. How do we know God told them? The writers say so. This means that to believe in God you actually have to have faith in men.

Well said Onager!!! I will save this

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

When did you guys start to doubt your faith in God?' - when I was a student in further & higher education.

I learnt about evolution properly.

Y'know, creationists often argue for divine, deliberate creation like this ...

"We know animals were created by God. Look at cows - they have four stomachs to properly digest grass!"

Then I'd respond something like this ...

"What about rattlesnakes - they have elaborate sensory systems that enable them to target prey, then they use fast-acting neurotoxin delivered through an effective combination of venom sacs & fangs like hypodermic needles that make sure prey is efficiently subdued and killed ..."

Creationists cherry-pick examples from the natural world in a vain attempt to defend their delusions.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ive been atheist from birth.

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist

As stan livedeath reminds me, we are all born as atheists. Then childhood indoctrination commenced — in my case at the age of two. That was, when JWs persuaded my parents to join their cult.

When did you guys start to doubt your faith in God? &tc.

I distinctly remember an occasion shortly after Christmas 1965, when I was five years old. Ironically it was the WT-doctrine that there is no Santa Claus which got me thinking. All these other, worldly kids stood firm in the faith, as it were, yet I knew better because my parents had told me, and other grown-ups had confirmed. So, I thought, what if there is not only no Santa racing across the sky with his sleigh and lots of very special reindeer, but also no invisible god, who was allegedly a loving but menacing all-powerful being, who obviously never actually did anything?? After all, the non-existent and the invisible look very much alike, especially when it lacks any observable effect.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

At 11 years old, I stopped believing the watchtower was God's chosen organization when I saw the stupid arguments they used in the Revelation book. But I still felt that it was the closest thing to the truth.

At 26, I realized I could never reach out for privileges as I believed the people of my religion were not only deluded, but actually manipulative liars. Still, I felt they were the closest thing to the truth.

At 35, I started doubting God when I saw all humanity crying out his name with his eternal silence.

At 37, after much research, I could not find one objective proof that God exist. Besides, by than, I came to realize that what matters the most anyway are our actions, not our beliefs. So, if an atheist does charity work, isn't it better than a JW that stands next to a cart all day proclaiming is self-righteousness?

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

When did you guys start to doubt your faith in God?'

What made you doubt your faith in God?

I don't think I have ever lost faith in God, but when it comes to religion this a whole different thing altogether. My husband and I officially left the JWs back in 2001, dissociated ourselves by sending in a letter informing them of our decision to leave. I had many reasons for leaving that cult.

I was only involved in it because when I was a child they lied to mom. They told her that in the fall of 1975 she would once again be reunited with her baby girl that had just died only a year before. My sister was only 6. I can't even tell you the number of times I waited for her to come back into my life, I was only a year younger than her. After all, I fully believed what my mother had told me....she wouldn't lie to me, would she, no she never would. She told me that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were lies that parents told their kids, so why would she lie to me about my sister.

I have mixed feeling about putting all those doubts aside and getting fully involved with that cult. On one hand, if I had, I would not have met my husband, had my children, and my brand new grandbaby, and I can never picture my life without them, even if that means not having those TOXIC JWs out of my life. My thought about the Watchtower is that they made me who I am today, and I won't ever be fooled by them or someone like them. And I passed that knowledge on to my kids. If it means they won't have to suffer at the hands of the Watchtower cult it was worth it. Sorry I sort of went down a different thought than what I had originally.

I brought that up and told the elders that the Watchtower had shown themselves time and time again to be nothing but a bunch of false prophets. After that, I was jumping around from church to church trying to find a "replacement". One good thing did come out of it, a couple of different pastors, one was even a former JW elder, helped me in getting about 75% of the Watchtower crap out of my head, the rest took quite a few years later.

My thought about religion, in general, is that I consider them all cults, and something mostly to be avoided, especially these "Chrisitan" religions. Once in a while, you might find that one who is actually trying to do what is right, but they are very far and few in between. Most of them are just out there to control and take people's hard earn money, and after a while, they all had the same feel as what the Watchtower had done to me, and something I refused to ever allow to happen to me to ever happen again.

I'm just thankful I got out of it when my children were still very young, and that they eventually became young adults with their own independent thoughts and opinions on this subject, and not influenced with the Watchtower poisoning their minds.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

At the very beginning even before reading books on evolution it was the way the elders came round after I phoned my sister and said I was leaving the JWs. Well, I said to them, I have a phone conversation with my sister and you turn up. She'd phoned my other sister's husband who lives in another country and he phoned our elders!

Thinking about that after we'd been shunned by all my family and all of our friends for two years I thought where is Jehovah in all of this? Even if that religion is wrong doesn't he care about me? Then I figured it out, he wasn't asleep or off playing golf, he just didn't exist.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Accepting that all ancient mythological expression is fictional is to embrace intellectual honesty.

If your wanting to immerse yourself in lies, ignorance and bullshit religion and the mostly men who try to teach and profess that ancient mythology is actually factual in a direct means to self empower themselves, (ie. the men of the Watchtower Corporation ) religion is what your looking for.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I decided I would lead an evidence based life, i.e no satisfactory evidence* means I will not trust that it is true, and therefore will not act upon it, whatever you are trying to prove to me.

* By satisfactory evidence, I mean evidence that would convince the most rigorous of scrutineers, skilled in the field, and sceptical too.

No such evidence for god has ever been forthcoming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit