True or False did the Watchtower Corporation create false doctrines intentionally to enhance the proliferation of their own publications ?

by Finkelstein 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The real issue is that you want to paint your former associates as wicked.

Yes disingenuously corrupt men who were more composed to put out information that would intentionally draw attraction to their literature than present deeply researched academic findings.

The played the game of attraction and exploited the basic belief in the bible to support their findings, a charlatan trick of the trade.

• vienne
    vienne

F,

Not the way I'd say it, but ultimately not an unexpected feeling. And not a statement with which I can't at least partially agree. Watchtower scholarship is often on the shallow side. Where they tend to shine is in simple exposition of Bible expectations. Otherwise their record as 'scholars' is over stated and poor.

I disagree over motives, as I've said. I'm comfortable calling Witness leadership 'self-entitled.' I'm not comfortable with corrupt. However, they do want people to share their belief, to be centered on a group of men they call the Governing Body instead of on Christ. Probably we're not nearly as far apart as it may seem.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm sure others of this forum including myself would like to know your involvement with the JWS Vienne ?

Do you still attend the occasional meeting, do you go to the yearly memorial ?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Generally I thought Edmond Gruss was a good writer. Mostly his books consist of extensive quotations from a vast collection of Watchtower literature. Lots of them very illuminating. I would be interested to know where he goes wrong.

Incidentally Gruss also had a JW parent but chose never to get baptised himself and studied JWs academically instead. So in some ways a similar background?

• vienne
    vienne

In the past two years I've attended two meetings and one convention. This does not mean I see the Witness organization as 'truth.' But since I've chosen to pursue their history, I have some need to stay current. I associated for some years with Church of God - General Conference [Atlanta]. We parted company amiably. They're Socinian. I am not. But there are many within Abrahamic Faith bodies such as CoGGC that are good people and as true a Christian as anyone else.

I let Witnesses in whenever they call, feeding them cookies or cake and coffee or tea. I listen politely, debate respectfully. If you're asking me what I think of Witnesses, I believe many are fine people, harmless, zealous for what they believe. Do I think the Watchtower is God directed? While I cannot say God does not direct some Witnesses, I do not believe that there is any sort of evidence that the Watchtower is his organization.

I would not discourage anyone from examining Watchtower belief. For some, being a Witness at least keeps them out of trouble. But do I see it as rational, biblical, and God's own? No.

• vienne
    vienne

Slim,

A partial rough draft, work in progress, of my Writing Partner's intro essay to volume 2 is on our blog. He touches on Gruss's work. http://truthhistory.blogspot.com/2017/10/okay-so.html

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is a pointed intent by the leaders of the WTS. to support them by various means and ways, to be subservient to them, to work for them, to give them money so they can continue being leaders of the WTS.

How these men accomplish this feat has been encouragingly corrupt, maligning and apathetic to all other human concerns, call it self serving narcissism, but when its realized that these men proclaimed that god has chosen them exclusively tells a story to their self serving wanting drive for power and control..

You can see the corruption if you look between the fine lines of the words they write.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I appreciate your honesty Vienne

• vienne
    vienne

I agree to the extent that Watchtower 'governing body' theory isn't scriptural. That means Watchtower authority structure is self-entitled. That's also true of every other ecclesiastical body with an authoritarian structure beyond the local congregation.

I suppose that if we have a religion we ought to be confident that we have 'truth.' But shouldn't there always be at least some doubt, some question about how much we get right? Some criticize Witness changes of doctrine. They should change when they're wrong.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I still contend that a organization that operates like this is dangerous and harmful to people who are lured into it, that's why I come here to expose why.

It exploits people's insecurities and ignorance of the general public and turns people into brainwashed lowly serving slaves to corrupt self serving subsequently ignorant men.

My appeal is to honesty, empathetic compassion and respect for knowledge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit