True or False did the Watchtower Corporation create false doctrines intentionally to enhance the proliferation of their own publications ?

by Finkelstein 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think every religionist has to lie a little to create believers, without the believers they dont have the power, control and money.

The WTS made 2 billion dollars recently selling its property holdings and has had a long held standing position that their followers (believers) should never give to outside charities to help the needy.

So you say they weren't selfish and apathetically self assumed in their organization which they created and were positioned as its leaders?

• vienne
    vienne

F,

There is a vast difference between being dishonest and being stupid. Was relying on the 6000 year calculation with its long history of failure predating the Watch Tower dishonest. Not if he believed it, and it appears he did. Was it stupid? Certainly. Did it cause irreparable harm to some? Who would deny that?

It is not up to you to suggest what the Watch Tower does with its money. Doing something different than what others wish with your own money isn't a sin.

• vienne
    vienne

Was I ever a Witness? No. I only have an academic interest.

• vienne
    vienne

Where in the Watchtower does it say one should never give to outside charities?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They did and JWS know about this, it was stated that outside charities are related in operation to other religious institutions, so they shouldn't contribute to these charities.

On the other hand they have promoted their members giving money to the WTS, a worthy cause because they are true and righteous in their preaching work.

• vienne
    vienne

F,

Reasserting what you said does not prove your point. Where, in what issue, on what page, did they say this?

• vienne
    vienne

F,

What The Watchtower actually said is:

When it comes to organized charity, though, we need to be cautious as we evaluate the many appeals we receive. Some charities have high administrative or fund-raising costs, leaving only a small portion of the collected money for the intended purpose. Proverbs 14:15 says: “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” So it is the course of wisdom to examine the facts carefully. W June 1, 2003

The second step is to look at your ultimate objectives—not in terms of amounts, but in terms of what you want to accomplish for both yourself and your beneficiaries. Typically, a married person will want to provide security for his or her spouse. A parent may want to provide some measure of financial protection for his or her children. An adult child may want to arrange for the care of an elderly parent. Additionally, you may want to remember certain friends or charities in your estate plan. It is important to write down who is to be included in your estate plan and your objective with regard to each. Awake Dec. 8, 1998

Some charities are able to do much good for people in need. When affected by natural disasters or catastrophic illness, many times Christians themselves have received benefits from such charities. Other charities, though, have high administrative costs or high fund-raising costs, with the result that only a small portion of the money collected is actually used for the advertised purpose. For example, a recent survey of 117 of the United States’ largest nonprofit organizations, including charities, found that more than a quarter of them pay their top executives a yearly salary of $200,000 or more. Audits often reveal expenditures for luxury items and the financing of an opulent life-style. Regardless of the name of the charity, it would take a long stretch of the imagination to believe that contributing to such schemes would fulfill the Bible’s command to help those in need. Awake June 8, 1993.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Was I ever a Witness? No. I only have an academic interest.

Did I mix you up with another poster? I thought you said your mother became a JW late in your childhood and you are glad it didn't prevent you from college education, but that it prevented your younger sibling(s). And that Jack Barr visited your congregation decades ago, and you discussed issues with him and found him to be a kind individual but it didn't resolve your issues. So at some point you stopped attending.

If I remember the post accurately, I think many people would fairly describe interest as more than academic.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Regardless of the name of the charity, it would take a long stretch of the imagination to believe that contributing to such schemes would fulfill the Bible’s command to help those in need. Awake June 8, 1993.

Thank you you just reconfirmed my point that the WTS always demeaned giving to outside charities, they rather encourage people to give money to them a much worthier cause .

You seem to not accept the assertion that certain leaders of the WTS bullshitted up stories to heighten attention to the literature the WTS published when there are viable and probable facts the did indeed .

You seem to have a favorable bias to the JWS organization, which is a bit puzzling and from all indications you havn't been totally truthful about your personal involvement with the JWS

• vienne
    vienne

I write witness history. I attended with my mother from age 12 to 18 because I saw it as an obligation, not because I was 'convinced.' My mother was Austrian and Catholic. We were raised with a sense of obligation to family. When my mother's interest was new, I read all I could. That included Rutherford's book Riches. It was fascinating, but I had to ask myself, "how does he know this?" And the answer was, He made it up. So no, I've never been a believer.

Understand that at twelve I was a sophomore in high school and enrolled in Running Start, a program that allows high school students to earn college credit. I graduated high school at 15 with an AA and ECE Certificate. I wasn't a dumb kid. And I certainly was not gullible. When I left home for WSU, I was no longer under the parental roof and not obligated to attend. My Master's thesis was on an aspect of Witness history. With my writing partner I write accurate (as accurate as we can make it), let the chips fall where they may history.

No-one prevented my younger siblings from attending college. My dad would not have allowed that. They made that choice on their own. My dad is a fairly well known -within his field- scientist, now retired but still writing. He is very pro-education. Nothing mother would have said, if she chose to, would have stopped us.

Mother was a teacher and school administrator. She was not against education. She worked in the field. So on those grounds there was never an anti-education attitude within our household.

My oldest sister has a MFA and is a photographer living in Belgium. If you read European fashion magazines you may have seen her work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit