True or False did the Watchtower Corporation create false doctrines intentionally to enhance the proliferation of their own publications ?

by Finkelstein 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Perhaps the came upon the 1975 prophecy by accident, but once they realized the impact on the r&f, they rode this wave for as long as they could. The late 1960s were the pinnacle of the organization. They knew it and wanted to ride this as long as possible.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Let it be understood that the WTS longingly tried to instill the notion that Christ has taken his heavenly throne and because of that mankind is now living in the last days close to the impending day of Armageddon.

If it wasn't measuring the Great Pyramid of Giza it something else.

They tried pulling any rabbit out the hat as they could.

But realistically I think they were just trying to make their own printed publications that more attractive to the public.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has always been strongly concerned about numbers, numbers of literature placements, numbers of how many Bible studies are being conducted, numbers of how many door to door publishers are working for them. etc. etc.

They are always counting detailed specifics of their operations to establish how successful they are and when they are deemed successful they are in acceptance that they will receive more monetary support and free volunteer labor.

So why not create doctrines which are tainted with corruption when you know they are going to gravitate positive supportive results in the long run ?

Wherever they do admit to doing wrong doctrinal wise which isn't very often, they just say well we're just imperfect men but we have just received new light from god's holy spirit.

• vienne
    vienne

F,

The flaw in your reasoning is that the Watchtower has always taught an unpopular doctrine. They know it is unpopular and controversial. If they really wanted to attract numbers, would they not preach a more palatable doctrine?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Apocalyptic charlatans which there are many particularly in the United States use their end times doctrines to attract attention usually to the literature they publish eventually to draw money out people.

I dont see anything different with the WTS who created a tainted commercialized version of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The Watchtower namesake was chosen to tell something astonishing to happen to mankind via the information contained in the bible.

The relevance to the doctrines created by the WTS has to be honesty viewed advantageous toward the proliferation of that published literature.

Failed doctrines may have occurred but the operation and functionality of publishing operation with all the many engaged people who used the operation as a livelihood had to continue on.

• vienne
    vienne

F,

You're presuming things not in evidence. And you forget that the Watch Tower in Russell's day was a very minor movement. It did not draw much money. Russell expended his own money so that he died nearly penniless. You're confusing the modern Watch Tower with Russell's day. When Mrs. Russell went after her husband's money, the Watch Tower had to open its books to the court. They did the same in the Russell v. Brooklyn Eagle case. The accounts show that his books never paid for themselves. On those few years where there was a marginal income from them, the money was put back into the work. This does not certify Russell as blameless or right in doctrine, but it does undermine your conclusion. IF one attacks the Watch Tower, there are better, truer things on which to focus.

I do not deny that the religion hurts people. I would never say it does not. Nor would I excuse it when it happens. But your following the wrong path here, one that is not based on real events.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So what your saying then Vienne is that the WTS leaders didn't devise doctrines to make their literature appealing and attractive to the public. ?

• vienne
    vienne

No, they preached a very unpopular, often ridiculed doctrine. The logical conclusion is that they believed what they preached. I am not claiming that Watch Tower doctrine, especially their approach to prophecy, is logical, scriptural or in anyway good. But one doesn't promote a doctrine that brings you ridicule and opposition if the sole goal is to sell books.

Many people believe irrational, unfounded things. Doing so does not mean one has a selfish motive. Just that they're irrational. The Watch Tower movement in Russell's day is part of a larger Millennialist [non-Adventist belief in Christ's near return] movement. Its doctrines overlap with other parts of it. Nothing in it is unique beyond an aggressive evangelism and Russell's personality. The total mix of doctrine is what made Russellism unique.

There is a disconnect between Russell's era and today's Witnesses. Witnesses are lineal descendants of the Russell era Watch Tower, but it is a different religion, one that Russell would have rejected. Still, I do not see Witness authorities as seeking selfish gain. There is no more evidence for that than there is for Russell. No matter what one thinks of current Witness belief, they plow all their money back into promoting their doctrine. So they're 'true believers,' even if one finds their doctrine unscriptural or irrational or both.

An evil motive is not necessary to mislead or abuse. Sometimes a firm conviction that we're right, left unchallenged, is enough to cause abuses.

• compound complex
    compound complex

An evil motive is not necessary to mislead or abuse. Sometimes a firm conviction that we're right, left unchallenged, is enough to cause abuses. -- vienne

Thank you, vienne, for triggering a memory. We who worked at Bethel believed our work meant salvation for those who took hold of the skirt of a Jew, i.e., accepted the the truth as espoused by the anointed remnant. One dear anointed sister -- Sister Kraker -- worked in subscriptions. When I was there for a matter I cannot recall, she held up a yellow Awake! form and said that represented the possibility that the recipient of the magazines, via the mail, would learn the truth.

I cannot speak for everyone else, of course, but those close to me bound books and magazines, distributed them in service, and used their contents during meetings to edify the listener. Even the higher ups I knew well or simply observed about their work, were sincere in their service to Jehovah and their fellowman. The pursuit of monetary gain and ulterior motives -- if present at all -- were surely well hidden from me.

Yet, as I look back now, I understand the reality of what you wrote regarding abuses incurred. Is this, in our now contrite state, the realization of the law of unintended consequences?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So your saying then there is no element of dishonesty when Franz used the 6000 years of mankind's existence twice 25 years apart ?

He even said that this 6000 years calculated to October of 1975 , which reflectively is quite laughable in itself.

Vienne were you ever a practicing JWS ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit