Suicide in the spiritual paradise all too common

by doubtfull1799 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• dbq407
    dbq407

if they didn't make people so afraid of the "world" and "worldly people" maybe more jw's would seek the professional help they need. Sad

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

It would be nice to have a "sad" button along with "like" and dislike"

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

The level of darkness that drives such is so awful and tragic, and then it transfers to some degree to those that are left behind. I'm so sorry to hear this. The cult nearly pushed me that far. Knowing what I know now I hate these stories because life can be worth living.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Very sad to hear and certainly we don't know all the circumstances that lead to this tragedy. However, as many of you know, when a person is so thoroughly committed to a high control religion such as jw's, aka "the troof", and then they discover ttatt, it can be so devastating that I can see a person taking their own life. How do I know? I, and I'm sure that many of you also, lived through that dark period of time. For me, it was the most terrible 5 year period of my life. I was emotionally dead and contemplated many times how to take myself out. I guess jehober just didn't need me in heaven so I made it through the darkness and into the wonderful light of reality. I'm now one of the 'happiest people on earth'!

just saying!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Wake Me: NEVER ONCE did I EVER tell my therapist that I was a Jehovah's Witness. I was too concerned about protecting the cult! ... That therapist was unable to help me.

This is a real problem. Many cult members will not seek help from a qualified mental health professional due to the vilification of these professions by the cult. But sadly, even when cult members do seek appropriate help, they undermine their own care by failing to give the psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist or counselor all the information they would need to be able to make an accurate diagnosis of the underlying problems and recommend an appropriate course of action.

It's like going to an general practitioner medical doctor and simply saying, "I'm not feeling well," but refusing to say what's wrong or disclose any symptoms or possible causes.

I'm glad, Wake Me, that you final overcame the psychological hurdles you had to healing. Your progress and growth since leaving the cult is evident!

jp

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ jp 1692...

'Course that's the way it goes down.

Most rank-and-file JWs with mental and emotional health problems are fucking terrified of finding out that the cause of those problems is being a rank-and-file JW.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Wake Me: NEVER ONCE did I EVER tell my therapist that I was a Jehovah's Witness. I was too concerned about protecting the cult! ... That therapist was unable to help me.

Oh, ain't that the truth, when I think of all the good money I've shelled out over the years to these professionals in the hope of aiding wife and kids battling cognitive dissonance and depression.

As JP succinctly said - Most rank-and-file JWs with mental and emotional health problems are #^$@^% terrified of finding out that the cause of those problems is being a rank-and-file JW.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

This breaks my heart. If only people felt free or were encouraged to seek help.

But we have to put on that kingdom smile and suffer in silence because to be honest about how you feel isn’t upbuilding to others. As one prominent member of London bethel once bragged to an elder in my congregation (who idolised him) he once asked a sister how she was and she began to honestly tell him to which he replied ‘don’t bring me down sister, don’t bring me down’ and walked away. He was actually proud of the fact he pushed a sister (who had problems) away. He advised this elder to do the same.

When I was at my lowest I wrote goodbye letters to my kids. I was at the meeting and an elder asked me how I was. It was the first time an elder had asked me in years! I told him I was so low I’d written goodbye letters to the kids. I didn’t want to be here anymore. He replied ‘sorry to hear that’ (while staring over my shoulder obviously preoccupied with something else) walked away and never spoke to me again.

I decided to seek help and started seeing a psychologist. The elders got to hear and we’re not pleased. They came to my house and advised me against it. When I said I’m going anyway, an elders wife took me on one said and said ‘you’d better not tell the psychologist you’re a witness. It’s not for them to know’

I decided there was no point in going if I wasn’t going to be honest so I told the psychologist everything.

Thank goodness I did. It saved me. I am just so heart broken for those who feel there is no way out of their problems except death.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh phoebe! Wow....just wow....

Thanks for sharing. You have come so far!❤️

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Phoebe That's so negligent and deadly, the way this "shepherd" dismissed you when you were checking out of this universe for good... He obviously paid attention in that atrocious elders' training video where the elder caring for a suicidal sister instructs her to chant "I am an integrity keeper" as a fix all for her inescapable suffering.

Just like cyber bullies have to answer to the law when a teen suicides as a result of the merciless taunting online, so should these elders for every congregational member who didn't pull through the way you did. I wonder how many poor souls weren't as strong as you, Pheebs. We're just so lucky to have you here today supporting us on this forum. I can't imagine how much more fortunate your children are to have a mother as lucid and resolved as you are today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit