Nobody else understands

by ElderBerry 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo

“After realising that , you’re not going to live forever and you only have the allotted 70 years or so, and that you have already wasted most of it .”

Bluesbrother makes me think really deeply about that. This is a question to anyone- If you had the option of taking the Blue pill now and genuinely believing in the Bibles promises again, would you be more happy?

I’m not asking would you chose that I’m asking would you be more happy than taking the red pill?

In my case I was more happy believing than I am now I don’t believe

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was never truly happy until I ceased to believe. The adjustment period was hard, and as the Thread Title says, nobody understands if they have not left a lifetime of Indoctrination.

I found that researching, properly Fact Checking, and using Critical Thinking Skills enabled me to eradicate any vestige of Indoctrination.

There then followed a lot of time spent coming to terms with my mortality and other things, but I ended up a very, truly, Happy Humanist Atheist.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Elderberry, we get it. "If you once were fully PIMI and truly believed JW doctrine to the core like I once did, when you come to the reality that it is not the truth at all it can be extremely devastating.

I think only other ex JWs could ever understand. I wasted my entire life I thought the real life was yet to come to wasted the best years knocking on doors. Now I’m so angry."

Yes, even though we woke up 10 years ago...it was 40 + years late. I am mostly mad at myself for being conned. What adult believes in Santa?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"when you come to the reality that it is not the truth ".

Umm. You got that wrong

It is the truth. JWs have the Bible truth.

The problem with JWs is no their understanding of the scripture.

The problem is the organization and how it is a bunch of pharisees.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Teddnzo: This is a question to anyone- If you had the option of taking the Blue pill now and genuinely believing in the Bibles promises again, would you be more happy?

I was always an optimist and a generally happy person, and still am. Frankly, the things that affected my happiness the most were stuff like finances or people around me, and that did not change a lot when I stopped believing (the people around me did change, but the type of people didn't).

It's less about what I believe regarding god. It's more about whether or not I can do the things that make me happy, or set up my life in ways that make me happy. Being a JW did impact that a bit, but there are plenty of religions out there that aren't as restrictive or limiting, and I'd be happy if I was a believer in one of those.

But, as far as wanting to believe something I found to be false? I wouldn't want to go back. It wouldn't make sense.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

After realizing that you're up in years and have allotted decades into a cause. When you realize that its NOT the ""truth"" per se .. ..

They keep going because,, I chalk it up to the ""sunk cost fallacy".

• Biahi
    Biahi

Rattigan the Jehovah’s Witnesses DO NOT have the truth, and yes they are Pharisees.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know
    ElderBerry said:
    If you once were fully PIMI and truly believed JW doctrine to the core like I once did, when you come to the reality that it is not the truth at all it can be extremely devastating.
    I think only other ex JWs could ever understand. I wasted my entire life I thought the real life was yet to come to wasted the best years knocking on doors. Now I’m so angry.
    I can understand why so many top themselves when they realise it was all lies.

Hi, ElderBerry. I went through my angry and questioning stage since around 2008. But what helped me was asking questions on internet discussion boards and/or debating Jehovah's Witnesses. However, Jehovah's Witnesses discussion/debate forums are a rare thing now. With probably the exception of this VERY pathetic board;

Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma - Debating Christianity and Religion

Because the JWs there are impossible. They robotic idiots who will give you a headache. And that's probably the last one left, but I would highly recommend NOT EVER debating at that message board. 😩

Also, for me, it seemed helpful if I could get a Jehovah's Witness to either answer or not be able to answer my questions. Because it's kind of like getting your abuser to admit what they did to you. But I hope that helps in some way.

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

SUNK COST FALACY - the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

This is true of many things. Should you leave your long time marriage mate, your long time job, should you move to another country, should you change your religion,0?

You can’t be certain it’s more beneficial it’s a huge risk you may regret. Should I stay or should I go. If I stay there will be trouble if I go it will be double

• blondie
    blondie

I think this applies to too many jws who can't explain their own doctrines, Ignorance is bliss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit