Nobody else understands

by ElderBerry 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

If you once were fully PIMI and truly believed JW doctrine to the core like I once did, when you come to the reality that it is not the truth at all it can be extremely devastating.

I think only other ex JWs could ever understand. I wasted my entire life I thought the real life was yet to come to wasted the best years knocking on doors. Now Iā€™m so angry.

I can understand why so many top themselves when they realise it was all lies.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I get it, Elderberry, many wasted their lives in bondage to this cult. Hang in there, life gets better. šŸ˜ŠšŸ™šŸ»

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I also spent 30 years (9 to 39) as a witnes, incl. being a ministerial servant and elder. It affected my life choices. However, I am not angry or bitter. That would be a waste of energy. Had many nice memories too. And it is part of my life book.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I'll smash your "like" button.

Great observation

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I wasted 50 years! I think myself an idiot for not getting out sooner. The cracks were there, I just ignored them because I knew men were imperfect. At anyrate, try not to beat yourself up or be depressed about it. Instead of woe is me for all the nonsense I have seen over the past 50 years, I am thankful to be out. Try to view it from a point of gratefulness and thankfulness and gladness not to be their slave...FEEL BETTER not bitter.

• JohnKG
    JohnKG

It's not a total loss.

Avoid the total loss thinking.

• Ding
    Ding

Please don't let the rest of your life be ruined by the first part of your life.

Search for truth now (not "the truth") and move forward.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I was 101% in when I was in. I went through a period where I faded pretty gradually, still telling myself it was the truth but my subconscious mind had already checked out. By the time I realized I was out, it wasn't traumatic. I was in for 30-40 years or so, made it to MS with people sure that I'd be an elder in due time. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel that I wasted a lot of potential.

I do feel a bit of sadness for losing out on some possible career paths that I decided not to follow, but I got lucky- an opportunity in IT when I was just beginning to fade allowed me to develop a career and make a decent living. My life was in good shape when I finally let go and walked away from the org. No bitterness, no looking back.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

A lifelong friend confided almost word for word to me the original post quite a few years ago.

Then, surprisingly after a few life altering events, and doing 'research' they went back into the borg. I suppose as long as they are happy that's the main thing I tell myself...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Similar story, lots of years of tilting at windmills. A word of advice. Go on a few former Mormon sites for a couple days. There are many, many people in a similar place as former JWs. I have dear friends who were kicked out of Wisconsin Synod Lutheran church, Disillusioned Baptists and even 2 ex-nuns. Oh and another that was in a sex cult that kept her pretty much a prisoner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit