I have been invited to speak at an International Cultic Studies Association workshop this fall. I could use your help in focusing on my presentation subject.
These workshops are for former members of any cult or other high-control, authoritarian group, not just Jehovah's Witnesses. Last year, I spoke at one of their larger conferences in Europe. In attendance were former cult members of all kinds, people born or raised in cultic groups, families, mental health professionals, researchers, and educators.
At a workshop I attended last fall -- and which is similar to the one I will be presenting at this year -- there were many former cult members and their families and friends in the audience, but not too many mental health professionals, researchers, or educators.
The theme I have chosen for my presentation is: Healing & Rebuilding Your Life.
My intended audience will range from those that have recently left a cult to those who have some distance but are either still dealing with ex-cult issues or are trying to help someone else that is.
There are six subjects that I am currently considering for my presentation:
- The Five Stages of Grief/loss (Kübler-Ross model)
- Examining Our Beliefs: Identifying the false and harmful (dysfunctional) core beliefs which are the root cause of our on-going difficulties after leaving
- Psychoeducation - this is closely related to #2 above, but is frankly more technical
- Treatments & Interventions - seeking treatments from working with mental health professionals to self-help
- Discovering Your Authentic Self - (personal identity)
- Dealing With Isolation and Loneliness (shunning)
As I will only have twenty minutes to present (plus 10 minutes for Q&A), I really need to focus on just one or maybe two at most of the above topics.
So here is my request: take a look at the above list of six topics and rank in order 1-6 (1 being highest, 6 lowest) which topics you believe would be of most benefit to either yourself or others in our current journey post-JWs. Please indicate how long it's been since you left the religion.
Feel free to leave any other comments, explanations, suggestions and/or questions.
Thanks in advance,