Being Gay Is a Choice

by ISP 51 Replies latest jw friends

• amac
    amac

Six -

I'm convinced that there must be a genetic reason for homosexuality.

I'm curious, why are you so convinced? Especially since scientists have tried but have not been able to find any "genetic reason."

• gumby
    gumby
    The man was playing with semantics, not genetics, when he said "it's my choice to be gay".

Thats what I was going to say sixer......ya bastard! Oh........except I was going to use different wording cuz I don't know what those two you used means

Gumby

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Sorry Dedalus, but I loved your remark from another thread.

Funny, how few people ask if heterosexuality is genetic or learned. Those of us who are straight never have to account for that. We take it as fact, take it for granted, and rain down questions on whoever is "other."

Thanks Dedalus. My sentiments exactly.

• Francois
    Francois

It seems plain to be by the manner in which the stoy is told that the teller was gay all along and was choosing to resist it. In this sense, being gay is a choice alright - it's a choice to acknowledge the pre-existing sexual preference.

amac - yes "scientists," whatever that means, have searched and continue to search for the reason that some people are homosexual. There are theories so far, but not many facts. Most importantly, the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. At one point in the history of this planet, it was accepted truth that the planet was flat; it was believed to be flat because there was an absence of evidence that it was round. The passage of time and the enhancement of wisdom eventually proved the truth. The same will happen regarding homosexuality.

• gumby
    gumby

Most put homosexuality as a MORAL issue. Morals are based on how your society has come to view it. Probably the majority on this board have been influenced in regards this subject by Christianity.

The bible for most of us has influenced our actions as to what is right or wrong correct?

Let's say the bible is not gods word as many here believe is not. Where then does homosexuality fit in as a moral issue if the bible is not gods word?

( just for the record.....I'm not gay, never have been, never will be.)

Gumby

• Francois
    Francois

Hi Gumster - How 'bout the bible is God's word AND homosexuality is a genetic flaw? This means that God accuses and condemns his own mistakes, doesn't it? To me this observation serves more to prove that the bible isn't god's word as I believe God to be slightly more honorable, more ethical than that.

• termite 35
    termite 35

I don't know why this is always debated. I was listening to some people in a pub the other night saying the same kind of things.

I'm attracted to men's forearms ( if they're large...) it's like trying to debate the reasons why I like them so much ; futile.

Surely the only reason people want to find an answer to the question of whether or not someone (else ) is gay through nature or nurture is because they want to make a judgement about someone else based on their findings.

1. Whether to 'approve' of your life style (how noble !)

2. Or whether to 'forgive' you your life style as you arn't responsible for your sexuality.( how presumptious )

Surely everyone should just be accepted as themselves and their sexuality should be none of my business; it's just a small part of life after all.

Perhaps in the future it won't even be mentioned and all this is part of an evolutionary process.

hello ISP

• gumby
    gumby

Hey Francois,

Excellent point!

Actually the same holds true for all our human imperfections( if homosexuality is truely an imperfection.) God is going to kill all who sin who are genetic sinners. Makes sense.

Gumby

• ISP
    ISP

[O]ne of my goals in the women's studies classroom was to convert someone to lesbianism in the course of the year—and I was always successful at this, just by talking about how sexuality is a construction and heterosexuality an institution and by simply posing the question, by asking my students: How do you identify yourself sexually? And if they would respond: I'm heterosexual, then I would ask: How do you know? How can you be so sure? thus provoking them to question their sexuality in certain fundamental ways. Result? Conversions right and left.
    —Catherine A. F. MacGillivray, in dialogue with Calvin Thomas, from Straight With a Twist: Queer Theory and the Subject of Heterosexuality, edited by Calvin Thomas, p. 262, 2000
    This quote is interesting as it seems to show that pressure plays its part. Hey Termite, how ya doing?

ISP

• amac
    amac
    I'm heterosexual, then I would ask: How do you know? How can you be so sure?

What a funny question...I would have to answer that I know because when I see a naked woman, I get a boner...when I see a naked man, it goes away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit