Being Gay Is a Choice

by ISP 51 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

amac,

I think by and large what I said was true. A lot of paedophiles were abused themselves as kids, for example.

ISP

• amac
    amac

As long as you recognize it is merely your opinion based on the amount of knowledge that you have on the subject, I'm cool with that.

• ISP
    ISP

Yeah, thats ok. I think you can be predisposed to any amount of things, but I dont see it being an excuse.

But you are not born liking the Green Bay Packers for example, or baggy jeans etc. Social forces are so much stronger. Any advertiser knows that I guess.

ISP

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Nevermind. .

• amac
    amac
    I think you can be predisposed to any amount of things, but I dont see it being an excuse.

I agree with that. Even if an alcoholic has addictive tendencies and predisposed to being an alcoholic, it is not an excuse for him to continue drinking and damaging the lives of those around him. If homosexuality was damaging to other people, than I would also say being predisposed is not an excuse. But since it is not damaging to others, there is no excuse needed.

So in relation to this thread, is Gay a choice? I think, does it matter? Some pro-gay* people use genetic tendencies as an excuse for being gay. Some anti-gay* say it is not genetics and that is not an excuse. I say why do they need an excuse?

*I obviously use these terms VERY loosely to describe opposing sides of the argument.

• ISP
    ISP

I think its a common failing for some to think there has to be a genetic reason for being gay. I think it arises out of their own insecurity. At the same time some people will think to suggest that its a choice is being anti-gay. Its not. If someone chooses a gay lifestyle...they deserve the credit for making that choice. I have no problem with that.

ISP

• amac
    amac

Spot on. I'd agree with that.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I was thinking back to my earlier days. You know, when I was a wee lad.

My role models: my parents, community at large, church (then) - yeah, I know...yes, you all know what I mean.

My role models were only heterosexual members: Mom & Dad, teachers, clergy and community members.

Was I abused? No.

I have four brothers: they grew up under the same circumstances, and they are heterosexual.

When I honestly think back, long and hard (no jokes here), as far back as I can remember, I can pretty much remember that 'feeling' being within me, omnipresent.

Of course, I didn't have any positive reinforcements. You did what you had to do, and played sports, etc., all the gender specific roles. I did what I did, nothing changed. But when you hear enough negative comments towards gay/homosexual people: you think (is there something wrong with me?) something has to be done. The beginning of social conformity.

Generally, the only time I hear/read of any analysis regarding 'why gay/lesbians' are the way they are by heterosexual people. No, I don't think they are being mean or nasty, but it occasionally infuriates Rayzorblade when I put myself in the analysis that people have presented. I attempt to place myself within their equation and it just does not factor into the quotient.

When I read the opening anecdote/comment by the minister who came out, so-to-speak, I can still hear in my head, what he is expected to say to perhaps appease his members: chose/chosen. I commend him for being honest about his sexuality, I'll give him that.

I am writing this as I crank up AC/DC. No, I'm not bi.

I'm sure I'll be back on this thread a bit later.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Well you know you could use this on witnesses, and I have on my grandma, you always say "Don't live a lie" so if you lie about being gay, and aren't open, isn't that living a lie, so wouldn't it be better not to live a lie, and be open about who you really are?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I think it arises out of their own insecurity.

That's fascinating. I'm convinced that there must be a genetic reason for homosexuality. Could you elaborate on what I might possibly be insecure about that would color my thinking?

BTW, you posted an article at the opening of this thread that gives strong evidence for the man's homosexuality being genetic. The man was playing with semantics, not genetics, when he said "it's my choice to be gay".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit