Being Gay Is a Choice

by ISP 51 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Being Gay Is A Choice

by David Cornwell

A Different Perspective On The Old Argument

I choose to be gay! Have you ever heard a person make this statement? I may have heard one person say such a thing, although right off hand I can't remember who it might have been.

The question that always comes up in any discussion of gay rights is this: “Is being gay a choice, or is one born gay?” I'm tired of hearing this debate. I suppose it still is an important question in a personal way, because all of us have wondered why we are the way we are. Truthfully it was a very significant question in my own journey toward self-acceptance. But when one stops to think about it, that part of the journey is pretty pathetic. Why should one have to justify the way one is, one's attraction to the same sex, the way one feels about many things in life?

For many years I went through all the motions of trying to choose NOT to be gay. I prayed, I swore on bibles, I quoted scripture, I damned myself for my dreams, I dated females, and finally I married. I became a United Methodist minister. I was homophobic. I didn't like myself very much. Choosing to be a heterosexual male did not seem to work very well. Finally through a series of events, I came to the realization that being gay is who I am. It wasn't something for which I had to repent of or for which I should feel sorry. I eventually came out to a few people, then to a few more. Now many people know I'm gay, including my wife (to whom I still choose to be married), my children, my brothers, and some of my co-workers.

Choice didn't work so well before, but guess what: Now I choose to be gay! I make the choice full and free. I care not whether I was born this way or whether it is the cause of environment or poor parenting. The choice is mine and it is right. I am gay. I want to be gay. Pat Robertson, Pope Paul, or my bishop do not have the right to trifle with my choice. It is mine. Even if I were born with absolutely no pre-disposition to homosexuality, it is still my right to choose to be gay. Today I make that choice. I'm proud to make it.

• Englishman
    Englishman

How very refreshing!

No victim syndrome, an honest appraisal indeed.

Englishman.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

To me being gay is not necessarily acting on it. The person in this article chooses to live a gay lifestyle. There are some people who are gay, but never act on it. So have they chosen to be gay, also?

• ISP
    ISP

When do you suppose a person chooses to be gay? I know of several gay people that remember being attracted to people of the same sex as young as 5 years old. Also, if a person is attracted to people of the same sex (on the inside they are gay), but never act on it, have they chosen to be gay?

Stinky pantz

When did I become a Man Utd fan?

ISP

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

It's like me saying: I choose to be female, even though males have the power. Yes, I could have a sex change, ultimately changing how others perceive me, but why change who I am for other people? I see being gay in a similar way. They don't choose to be gay, because they were born that way. They could change themselves outwardly and get married, etc. but on the inside they'll always be gay so why change who they are for other people? I think the choice is in the lifestyle they seek, not in who they are. They are choosing to be attracted to the same sex (being gay), they are choosing to have sex with men (living a gay life).

Make sense? Probably not .

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

ISP-

What's a Man Utd fan?

• ISP
    ISP

ISP, I'm curious as to your rational for believing that homosexuality is "by choice". Could you elaborate? Are you personally titillated by homosexual thoughts or fantasies at times? I ask because, while it wouldn't make me agree with you at all, it might help me understand your thought process, ie: ISP has homo-erotic thoughts, along with hetero-erotic thoughts, but ISP chooses to only act on the hetero-erotic feelings?

6of9 asked the above on another thread. It depends on social pressures. I am sure if I attended an all boys boarding school there would be a strong pressure to be gay. Or if I was in prison for a long time!!!! Or if I lived in times gone by when a gay culture flourished. Or was there a sudden explosion of gay genes!!!

Hope that helps.

ISP

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

That doesn't help. What is Man Utd?

• ISP
    ISP

This may help SP,

http://www.unitedonline.co.uk/

Best

ISP

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I give up. Do soccers players choose to be gay? I'm slow, please explain what you're getting at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit