Have You Recieved Any Benefit From This Web Site???

by minimus 86 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Bollocks !

Hey! This from the man who made and is supposed to enforce the rule:

To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid: .... Swearing, using hate-speech or making obscene or vulgar comments.

British swearwords are okay, though? Or am I wrong, and "bollocks" isn't a swear? I always thought it was sort of like "bullshit."

Dedalus

• donkey
    donkey

Simon,

If you would care to get over your personal dislike for me and actually read what I wrote and comprehend it then you would see I wrote exactly what YOU advocate.

When you quoted me out of context and remarked: "Bollocks" I happened to agrre with what you say. I agree with STOPPING flame wars, I always have. I disagree with censoring certain words because someone might find them offensive because that is so subjective eg. putting up a logo in your avatar that says Impeach Bush is no less offensive to SOME as is the "F" word to others or saying "JW's are evil to others".

As far as my opinions on the technical side of the site: It is the best piece of technical work on a message board around - you have done a terrific job of the technical side. (I would like additional features such as the ability to turn-off the ability to have others PM me for my own reasons - esp since the PM's are not private and can be used against posters). But I salute you on the accomplishment.

Jack

• Simon
    Simon

I don't have anything against you donkey. Sorry you think that or it came across that way - I didn't mean it, I was only replying to something you posted ... not to you.

As for the censorship / swearing thing again I really do get very tired of trying to explain it. Its all about context. Very rarely does "fuck" fit in a humerous or friendly way.

When you quoted me out of context and remarked: "Bollocks" I happened to agrre with what you say. I agree with STOPPING flame wars, I always have. I disagree with censoring certain words because someone might find them offensive because that is so subjective eg. putting up a logo in your avatar that says Impeach Bush is no less offensive to SOME as is the "F" word to others or saying "JW's are evil to others".

It's impossible to try and please everyone but one thing is certain: it's going to offend fewer people if we are try and limit the use of such things. BTW: I'm not sure if you noticed but the "Impeach Bush" logo was removed some time ago if it's been put back in the meantime then I will remove it again.

As far as my opinions on the technical side of the site: It is the best piece of technical work on a message board around - you have done a terrific job of the technical side. (I would like additional features such as the ability to turn-off the ability to have others PM me for my own reasons - esp since the PM's are not private and can be used against posters). But I salute you on the accomplishment.

Thanks. I am planning on adding 'negative' permissions (like 'deny' in NT) that I can apply to groups and this could be used to stop people using PMs and also limit peoples posts etc ... Of course, no one needs to answer the PMs if they don't want. Another thing that I've built into the system is support for blocking PMs from certain posters but I haven't got round to doing the interface yet (there are lots of things at this stage like uploading attachments for posts)

Nothing on the site is 100% private as, with any system, there are legal obligations and if someone complains I need to be able to investigate matters.

• donkey
    donkey

Simon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for what you wrote.

Jack

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

hi minimus. to answer your question..............YES!

when i went through all my dramas at the hands of the WTS i felt alone and trapped. i felt there was no way out and that i had to endure their abuse, lies and cruel treatment. i also felt alot of fear at the thought of working against god. so in short i had to convince myself, with the help of the borg, that everything that happened to me was allowed to refine me and to teach me endurance and to trust jehovah. what a load of BS.

this web site helped me to get information, to know that the borg was hurting a lot of people, therefore validation for me to leave with a clean conscience.

it has been sad to find out about the pain and suffering of many people here but on the up side it has introduced me to people who i respect and admire and have formed a close bond with.

this site has also been great for me and mr bliss in that it has brought us together with a long lost couple that we knew in the 'troof' and had lost touch with for 6 years. and i've also become a close friend of kelpie's.

so that's it in short.

cheers, bliss

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    this site has also been great for me and mr bliss in that it has brought us together with a long lost couple that we knew in the 'troof' and had lost touch with for 6 years

Exactly. We reckon the same too!

Cheers, Ozzie and a slumbering Mrs Ozzie

• minimus
    minimus

Blissingignorance, "validation" is what we all need. Because we have to seriously question ourselves as to HOW we possibly could have either fallen for this crap or stayed in it for so long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit