It's so simple -- Matthew 24

by cruzanheart 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• herk
    herk
    I agree.

You say you agree, but do you?

First of all, you're greatly mistaken in your private interpretation that the oil stands for knowledge. There is nothing in the context that supports this theory you invented.

Secondly, it is a twisting of the Scriptures to say that Bible truth is hidden between the lines. If that were true, then any old interpretation that people seem to find hidden "between the lines" would be acceptable. There is no need to add to the Scriptures. All Scripture is all we need. We don't need false teachers coming along to tell us that the text doesn't mean what it plainly says because there are "secret" encoded messages hidden between the lines. Such thinking is utter foolishness, plain and simple. Its design is to provide an excuse for private speculation.

Thirdly, your emphasis on "extra" things has no scriptural basis. Neither the word nor the idea is in the context.

So, what then is it to which you say "I agree"?

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Feel sorry for the virgin who fell asleep with her nose in a book. She did not notice that her neighbour needed a ride, that the food bank had asked for another donation, or that her child was begging for attention.

And God said: "The world is wicked! I'm going to destroy it. I want my blessed people to be at the docks at 9:30 p.m. sharp. We'll load from 9:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. but the boat must leave by 10:00 p.m. in order to avoid the castrophe! Don't be late!"

9:59 p.m. ALL ABOARD!

:Hey wait! What about "Nice Lady!" The one who helps the homeless and the sick. The one that gives all her time to the poor?

:What? She must be on board already, look for her!

:She's not here, I checked!

:What?!!!! Well, didn't we tell her what time to be here?

:Yes.

:Didn't I say 9:30 p.m., we leave at 10?

:Yes.

:Well, where is she? Doesn't she care enough to follow my instructions?

:I think she really cares, but you know tonight she had a special function for the homeless and I think she didn't finish feeding everybody.

:The homeless? Most of whom are on the boat? Those homeless?

:Yes. But...well, I'm sure she'll be here. Can't we just hold the boat up for a short while until she arrives?

:If we hold the boat up, all the people on board will die, including her. Wouldn't it be better to save these and lose her than for everyone to die?

:You're right. Everyone knew what to do. I guess she had her own priorities.

Jesus: Hey! Let's get going! If Sweet Lady wasn't so wrapped up into what SHE wanted to do instead of caring about what God commands then she would have been here early. She is getting her reward right now. Plus, she's not that smart. Why is she fooling around trying to feed the homeless who are going to die anyway because they didn't care enough either to be here on time? It's too bad, but I'm sorry. There's a time for helping the homeless and there is a time for getting on the boat, and she should have figured that out.

:So, um, you're saying she's not that smart?

Jesus: No. I'm saying she's not true "kingdom material" as nice as she is. Kingdom material would have been on the boat at 9:29.

:Right.

Canon

• jgnat
    jgnat

*sigh*. Simple didn't work. Perhaps if I gave you some more lines, you could read some more between them?

Jamieson, Faussett, and Brown
    Bible Commentary

Then, since the wisdom of "the wise" consisted in their taking with their lamps a supply of oil in their vessels, keeping their lamps burning till the Bridegroom came, and so fitting them to go in with Him to the marriage, this supply of oil must mean that inward reality of grace which alone will stand when He appears whose eyes are as a flame of fire. But this is too general; for it cannot be for nothing that this inward grace is here set forth by the familiar symbol of oil, by which the Spirit of all grace is so constantly represented in Scripture. Beyond all doubt, this was what was symbolized by that precious anointing oil with which Aaron and his sons were consecrated to the priestly office (Ex 30:23-25, 30); by "the oil of gladness above His fellows" with which Messiah was to be anointed (Ps 45:7; Heb 1:9), even as it is expressly said, that "God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him" (Joh 3:34); and by the bowl full of golden oil, in Zechariah's vision, which, receiving its supplies from the two olive trees on either side of it, poured it through seven golden pipes into the golden lamp-stand to keep it continually burning bright (Zec 4:1-14) --for the prophet is expressly told that it was to proclaim the great truth, "Not by might, nor by power, but by M Y S PIRIT, saith the Lord of hosts [shall this temple be built]. Who art thou, O great mountain [of opposition to this issue]? Before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain [or, be swept out of the way], and he shall bring forth the head stone [of the temple], with shoutings [crying], G RACE, G RACE unto it." This supply of oil, then, representing that inward grace which distinguishes the wise, must denote, more particularly, that "supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ," which, as it is the source of the new spiritual life at the first, is the secret of its enduring character. Everything short of this may be possessed by "the foolish"; while it is the possession of this that makes "the wise" to be "ready" when the Bridegroom appears, and fit to "go in with Him to the marriage."

http://www.gospelcom.net/eword/comments/matthew/jfb/matthew25.htm

• jgnat
    jgnat

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or athirst, and gave thee drink? And when saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? And when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.

Matthew 25:37-40 ASV

Not a single scripture identifies the requirement of a working watch as a prerequisite to meet His approval.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Secondly, it is a twisting of the Scriptures to say that Bible truth is hidden between the lines. If that were true, then any old interpretation that people seem to find hidden "between the lines" would be acceptable. There is no need to add to the Scriptures. All Scripture is all we need.

Daniel 12:9: "Go, Daniel, because the words are made SECRET and SEALED UP until the time of the end.....And the wicked ones will certainly act wickedly, and NO WICKED ONES AT ALL WILL UNDERSTAND, but the ones having insight will understand."

"....Many will rove about and the TRUE KNOWLEDGE will become abundant."

"...And the ones having insight will shine like the brightness of the expanse; and those who are bringin the many to righteousness, like the stars to time indefinite, even forever."

Canon

• jgnat
    jgnat

Aaah, the siren song of a good conspiracy theory, so compelling, so, so mysterious. Many a man has hunted that elusive gold, forsaking friend and family in that glorious quest. Does such a search encompass the full extent of the deeper mysteries of Christ? Or should the mystery of Christ lead to more love, more kindness, more good works?

• herk
    herk

Canon,

Every one of those verses you quoted is absolutely correct, but it is the height of arrogance to claim that your farfetched private speculation is a fulfillment of any of them.

Herk

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Jamieson, Faussett, and Brown
    Bible Commentary

Interesting commentary. Thanks!! My only comment would be that this "oil", whatever it is, is something that the wise virgins COULD HAVE shared with the five foolish virgins. You can do that with "knowledge" and "special understanding", but not with inward, individual grace.

Also, this oil was not for anointing, but for their lamps which provided LIGHT. God's word is a "lamp" per the scriptures. It guides us. But we must look to it with interest in order for it to shine. The light can not guide us if we don't read it.

Thus the Bible, like a lamp, needs to be read in order to provide light. In this scenario, the foolish virgins were only willing to read certain parts, the parts they liked. This was good. It got them so far. But the wise virgins were interested in EVERYTHING that was there in scripture. That extra interest was the extra oil that kept their lamps burning until it was time for the Messiah to arrive. They needed that extra oil, therefore, in order to find the light they needed which was in the secret things of scripture; the prophetic prophecies, the Bible's chronology for the last days, the typology in scripture of sacred things. This is what gave them the extra light to find the Messiah in time.

Finally, even if this sense of "grace" were the oil, it turns out that the foolish virgins did attain this degree of "grace" or whatever eventually. They were told to go "buy oil from those that sold it" which they apparently did. But when they arrived, apparently lamps burning bright, it still didn't matter. It didn't get them into the kingdom. So there is a TIMING factor involved here too. It's not get excited about the Bible after the Messiah arrives, but BEFORE he does.

When Armageddon is bearing down on us, for instance, I'm sure plenty of individuals will then have plenty of time to be fully focussed and devoted to every aspect of scripture there is, between the lines, above the lines, below the lines and in every other way. Which is good, but....the time for that "extra oil" of interest was BEFORE the Messiah arrives, not after.

If I may make another comparison. Remember Jesus said: "If you're lukewarm, I will vomit you out of my mouth?" Those foolish virgins were like lukewarm water. They were not intensely hot or refreshingly cold. They only had a mild interest. They only wanted to do a few of the requirements and leave others alone. That attitude offended the Christ and he rejects them.

Bottom line, Christ is looking for those who really care about these things and who make it a priority. Those are the ones who he wants in his kingdom. Those who go the extra mile, who graduate to understanding the deep things and get into the MEAT of scripture. Those running with full heart....not those who want to pace themselves when winning the race is the goal.

That's how I'm seeing it.

So ultimately, if someone is not into all that prophecy and stuff. Fine. God gives different gifts in different men and everyone aren't given the edge in the prophecy department. Fine. But why discourage those who have this gift? Why judge them for their Biblical enthusiasm and tell them they should focus more on THIS LIFE? Instead, we should encourage them and LISTEN to them, should we not? We can test for what they say is truth in scripture or not, but shouldn't we be listening?

Canon

• jgnat
    jgnat

...like Proplog2? In my experience, listening to doomsday predictions fosters fear, not love. If I concentrate, today, on being a better Christian, I please my Master, today. Tomorrow is His department.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Not a single scripture identifies the requirement of a working watch as a prerequisite to meet His approval.

1 Cor. 14:1 "Pursue LOVE, yet keep ZEALOUSLY seeing the spiritual gifts, but preferably that you may PROPHESY."

Canon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit