It's so simple -- Matthew 24

by cruzanheart 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    But there are the "wise ones" who must be present during the last days, the "prophets" who have to develop all this stuff and then share it with others, so that's the difference.

My, my, we are full of ourselves, aren't we? Spare me the condescension, please, including ending your post to me with the trite and overused phrase "have a nice day." You sound extremely arrogant as you loftily "explain" parables and prophecies, which is EXACTLY the trap the Pharisees fell into, which is EXACTLY my point of this whole thread. The organization of Jehovah's Witnesses has gotten so caught up in discerning each little comma that it is missing the point of Jesus' message: love. I'm not saying we should stick with the simple things always, but after five meetings a week, two circuit assemblies a year, and one district convention each year, it is very easy to get caught up in the minutia and it never hurts to go back to basics. That's the way PEOPLE get overlooked.

So, ask yourself this, please: what did I do today to help someone else? And I mean in a physical way, not just instructing them in the proper interpretation of the wise and foolish virgins. Here's your assignment: look around your congregation and find the most lonely individual there, someone no one talks to, and invite that person for a meal. You may save their life now, in this system of things, and that's important too.

As for not calling me a foolish virgin, I can tell you right now that I am neither foolish nor a virgin, and if I had a little hot oil you might be surprised and chagrined where it would end up.

Nina

• herk
  • Big Tex
    Big Tex

1 Corinthians
    Chapter 13

If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
    And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.
    If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated,
    it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
    it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.
    It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    Love never fails. If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing; if tongues, they will cease; if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing.
    For we know partially and we prophesy partially,
    but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
    When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
    At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.
    So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
  • JCanon
    JCanon
    You sound extremely arrogant as you loftily "explain" parables and prophecies, which is EXACTLY the trap the Pharisees fell into, which is EXACTLY my point of this whole thread.

....and they took no note until the flood came and swept them away....

Don't blame God if you miss the boat. You were TOLD.

Canon

• Bibbitybobbityboo
    Bibbitybobbityboo
    ....and they took no note until the flood came and swept them away....

Don't blame God if you miss the boat. You were TOLD.

Ugh! Does anyone have a barf-bag handy?

• larc
    larc

Canon,

Your last, terse comment had nothing to do with the very patient and kind analysis provided to you, by several posters.

I found your comment about Noah and the implication that we are doomed to be in sharp contrast to the quote from 1 Cor. 13, provided by Big Tex.

I don't know if you know Big Tex's background, but he has been very badly damaged by members of your religion. Those close to him did not show love at all. Fortunately, he can draw on the strength of the scriptures and the friends he has here.

Canon, I have been alive for along time, and I have come to the conclusion that "knowledge" doesn't account for much, even though I have a bunch of it, and love accounts for everything.

As the song says, "Greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love, and be loved in return." (Nature Boy, sung by Nat King Cole and later by Gracie Slick.)

• Hamas
    Hamas
    Jesus is the way,he is the truth.Jesus said you will be followers of me(Jesus)His witnesses...not Jehovah's. The bible has Jesus as a very good,loving ,forgiving man.I have no problem following Jesus steps. Jesus didn't talk about making a religion,yes he said be with fellow believers but no where does it talk about a religion.

You know, I used to have that philosophy. Until I invited Jesus into my life, and it went AWOL . Shame on me if it is the case and you do have to invite him in your life etc, but for now, I think it's bollocks.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Your last, terse comment had nothing to do with the very patient and kind analysis provided to you, by several posters.

I'm sorry if you found the comments overly terse. Perhaps we're on different wave lengths. Let me try again from my point of view.

THE WISE AND FOOLISH VIRGINS:

These virgins were all together, all Christians, all looking to be with Christ. I'm sure they were all extremely loving and sweet persons every last one of them. They didn't know exactly what time the Messiah would arrive but apparently the wise virgins knew that if he delayed into the latter night, they might need extra oil, so they were concerned enough to plan ahead and they brought extra oil, just in case. This contrasts with the "foolish virgins" since they apparently were not that concerned about it. Perhaps they presumed he wouldn't be that late or they were willing to gamble that he'd be earlier rather than later. At any rate, they didn't take the extra oil.

What actually happened, though was that ALL OF THEM, all ten began to "nodd" and fall asleep. This shows that even the wise virgins did not have all the knowledge and understanding in the beginning about the arrival of their Lord. But then, suddenly in the night, the Lord arrives. The virgins come out of their sleep and find their lamps nearly out. The wise virgins have extra oil so they get their lamps ready. The foolish virgins lack this oil, request some from the wise virgins who refuse, telling them to now go to those who sell it. At this point the wise virgins are separated from the foolish. And we know what happens. Sure the foolish virgins get their lamps aburnin' bright and arrive waiting to get a seat, but someone else has taken their place. They didn't get it in time. Result, they missed out and Christ rejects them.

So where do I fit in?

I'm sort of like the bystander watching the 10 virgins in the marketplace and seeing the wise virgin buying their extra oil but the foolish virgins paying no heed. So I go up to the foolish virgins, knowing what's at stake, and ask them hintingly at first whether or not they should consider purchasing some extra oil. They ignore me, telling me he's probably not going to be that late and they really don't need it. At which point I scream and them and tell them if they don't get the extra oil now, they will be sorry later because the Messiah will reject them. They don't like my terse tone and call me arrogant and tell me to get lost.

Later on, the foolish virgins, having lost everything, begin to gnash their teeth, wishing they had paid attention.....something like that!

I'll feel sorry for them, but they can't say I didn't try to warn them, right?

Canon

• jgnat
    jgnat

Your interpretation of OIL=KNOWLEDGE does not stand up to scrutiny.

Feel sorry for the virgin who fell asleep with her nose in a book. She did not notice that her neighbour needed a ride, that the food bank had asked for another donation, or that her child was begging for attention.

Oops. A virgin would not have a child. Her sister's kid then.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Apparently you didn't get my point. Nobody here is arguing against Bible knowledge. But mere guesswork and speculation - reading between the lines - does not amount to Bible knowledge.

I agree. But my point was that "sacred secrets" are present in scripture and sometimes they are hidden between the lines, so if you're not concerned about at least looking you'll miss part of the truth. The "wise virgins" make it into the kingdom because they were concerned with these "extra" things. That extra oil is found between the lines.

Canon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit